PDA

View Full Version : cooking group

childmind04
08-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I currently run an allotment group for the local childrens centre and are due to move indoors in a couple of weeks, my plan is to start a cooking group with the parents and children

now the children and parents who attend have very basic skills in most areas so i want something simple but healthy, we have 2 hours to prepare, cook and clean up so we need simple recipes :)

the children range from babies to school age, i was thinking things like, mash with flavourings like mustard or cheese, i know this is very basic but after doing the allotment group some mums did not even know half the veg we grew :(

Any help would be greatfully recieved
Susan

Spangles
08-11-2008, 06:50 PM
My first thought was maybe a quiche with ready made pastry case? Even I can do that and I'm a right dimwit in the kitchen - you should see my cakes! Ha ha!

Spangles
08-11-2008, 06:51 PM
What about a sausage plait? Mind you, that only takes a few mins with ready made pastry!

Can you see a theme developing with my recipes! Shows what a rubbish cook I am!

madasahatter
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
How about some lovely homemade vegetable soup. Very healthy, very cheap and can use some of your excellent produce.

For a very simple soup all you need is a couple of medium sized potatoes, 1 onion, 2 or 3 carrots and a stock cube. Peel and chop all the veg, put in a pan with a pint of water and the stock cube and simmer for 20 to 30 mins. Mash or blend if you want a smoother consistency (I find children prefer smooth soups) then if it is a bit thick add either some more water (though I usually add milk to make it a creamy soup) and adjust the seasoning. If you grew any herbs like parsley or thyme you could add a little whilst cooking.

You can add other veg's too. Butternut squash is good, as are parsnips and other root veg.