PDA

View Full Version : You are being watched!

Polly2
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I had an enquiry for childcare yesterday from a lady who said she had been attending all the local soft play and toddler groups lately observing the childminders :eek:

She started chatting to me about minding and said she had chatted to some of the others and they hadn't been too helpful - she also said that I was the only one actually interacting with the children.

Most of them just sit and drink coffee!!

I was chuffed but ashamed at the same time that the others had given a bad impression as I know some of them are basically good cms.

Just goes to show that we are "on show" all the time!!

sarah707
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh my goodness!

I wonder how often that happens?

I live in an area where there are big families and you never know who is related to which ... so I'm always extra careful when out and about.

We'll all be very paranoid soon :eek:

Mollymop
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Same her I am extra careful when I am out and about. I think i am quite well known as a childminder as I do all the school runs and I look after on little girl with Downs and she is a bit of a celebrity as everyone loves her, parents, children, teachers - so they all know my job.
So I am very careful never to give wrong impressions.

Twinkles
08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm always mindful of who's watching when we're out. Not that I act any differently to the children at home but you know what I mean.
You never know who is a friend of whom or related to a mindee.
However it's very easy to judge on just a snapshot at toddlers - not that I'm saying you don't deserve recognition for the way you are with the children.
Sometimes if you have three different age of children it's better to stay in the middle where you can see them all - and don't we deserve a coffee ?

Heaven Scent
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I have to say that this is why I stopped going to the local Mums and Tots - I always felt like I was in a gold fish bowl. No one spoke to me but I always felt my every movement was being monitored which is why I tend to stick to doing activities with other minders - I feel the same when I do pick ups - especially when I go somewhere new - Its amazing the things you hear back about yourself in a small town - I'm not saying they are bad - it just freaks me out a bit.

childmind04
08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I have to hold my hands up because if i am ever asked about what to look for in a childminder i always say go to toddlers or soft play to see how they interact with the children :blush:

I know that its just my view but some cm's i know just drink coffee and give us good cm's a bad name :(

i am also one of those cm's i feel is well known, my kids wear hi viz jackets/hats and t shirts with my details on and i have my registered cm coat and t shirts on most days but this is because i am proud to say i am a childminder and i feel anything i do can be watched by anyone iyswim !!

I think as soon as anyone knows who we are we are watched as people either have very strong views on us or are totally misinformed :)

PixiePetal
08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I know we are watched but a I know I do a good job, I don't mind. At the toddler group I base myself in the middle some of the time so I can see all areas. If one child needs me I can be there and still keep an eye on others.

One of the best compliments I ever had at a group was many years ago when my daughter was 18m and I minded a 2yr old. Someone knew I was a minder and I had a child but wasn't sure which one was mine as I treated them with equal care and attention. :blush:

Twinkles
08-11-2008, 06:38 PM
I know we are watched but a I know I do a good job, I don't mind. At the toddler group I base myself in the middle some of the time so I can see all areas. If one child needs me I can be there and still keep an eye on others.

One of the best compliments I ever had at a group was many years ago when my daughter was 18m and I minded a 2yr old. Someone knew I was a minder and I had a child but wasn't sure which one was mine as I treated them with equal care and attention. :blush:

That is nice isn't it. When I first started minding I had a little girl and my son. Everyone thought the little girl was mine and were really surprised when told actually she was the mindee.

don the duck
08-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I have to hold my hands up because if i am ever asked about what to look for in a childminder i always say go to toddlers or soft play to see how they interact with the children :blush:

I know that its just my view but some cm's i know just drink coffee and give us good cm's a bad name :(

i am also one of those cm's i feel is well known, my kids wear hi viz jackets/hats and t shirts with my details on and i have my registered cm coat and t shirts on most days but this is because i am proud to say i am a childminder and i feel anything i do can be watched by anyone iyswim !!

I think as soon as anyone knows who we are we are watched as people either have very strong views on us or are totally misinformed :)

Where did u get ur t shirts from.

son77
08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
I know what you mean.

I was doing a pick up from playgroup the other day when a mum asked me if I was a cm. She said she see's me everywhere! (cant say I'd ever seen her before though).

Polly2
08-11-2008, 08:56 PM
It's true we do all need a coffee now and again - and I did have a sit down, drink and a biscuit :) I just think its about being proffesional and also friendly too that gives people a good impression.

I know lots of cms that moan about parents at these groups and I think its awful. We all need a moan, don't get me wrong but we need to do it discreetly because parents see us and hear us don't they?

Thats why I come on here and talk to you guys :thumbsup:

manjay
08-11-2008, 09:25 PM
I am equally happy to be scrutinised as I know I do a good job. The village where I live must be under the same impression as I have never advertised, and the majority of my mindees have come from parents watching me go about my work (usually at toddler group)

Heaven Scent
08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I only moan about parents on here and to other minders in the town when out and about with them. We all need to have a moan but we must be careful and professional about where and when we do it.

Lou
08-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Most (if not all) of my mindees have come from word of mouth, or reccomdations from parents etc or from people knowing what i do and approaching me. I also live in a small village where everyone knows each other etc so i know i am doing a good job and parents are happy......

however.......i like to sit and have a coffee every now and then if i get a sec, dont think that makes me a bad childminder!!!!!

singlewiththree
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh my goodness!

I wonder how often that happens?

I live in an area where there are big families and you never know who is related to which ... so I'm always extra careful when out and about.

We'll all be very paranoid soon :eek:

Erm I did it, when I was looking for a childminder I also went to the toddler groups and watched then when I was ready I asked my favourite one if she had vacancies at the toddler group then when she didnt she asked aroundwho had vacancies at the toddler group! as I knew some of them already and explained that I needed one asap. weird situation but at least it meant I knew the personality of the childminder and how she was with the children before she knew I was looking. Now the boot will be on the other foot. I'm already trying to treat my own children as mindees!

carolinel
08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Most (if not all) of my mindees have come from word of mouth, or reccomdations from parents etc or from people knowing what i do and approaching me. I also live in a small village where everyone knows each other etc so i know i am doing a good job and parents are happy......

however.......i like to sit and have a coffee every now and then if i get a sec, dont think that makes me a bad childminder!!!!!

I agree. it depends on the ages of the children i've got but when i used to take the older ones to toddlers I did used to let them go off and play on their own. they always knew where I was and if they needed help with any activity they would come and ask and i would go help them. I believe it helps them with their social skills and to gain independance to go off on their own rather than have me shadow them.

i can understand what you mean about some sitting and drinking coffee, I probably look like i'm doing the same but i know the children are safe and having fun - it hasn't stopped me from getting new mindees from the toddler group!!

I find it hard when my own daughter is having one of her tantrums on the school run and everyone is looking at me and I have to try and stay very very calm as they all know i'm a childminder!!

childmind04
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Where did u get ur t shirts from.

We had them done at a local company and they are great, they have my number on and 'im with my childminder', i also got the children bags and caps, unfortunatly we ordered through another cm and something happened with the payment and they will no longer do them for us, so im on the look out for some new ones :)

Susan

childmind04
09-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh and mine has the area i work in and that i am a registered cm on the back in big letters :)

Susan

Heaven Scent
09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I have to say that the only time I get to have a coffee while I'm minding is if I take the children out to a group and someone is in charge of making it and it usually goes cold sitting on a high shelf until I get a chance to drink it. - I have to admit to making a coffee for friends if they call - I'm afraid that a cup of coffee for me tends to mean a few minutes to relax and chill out and if I cant have that then I don't bother with the coffee. I just don't think that a coffee and running around after mindees = a few minutes relaxation it actually = a lot more stress.

don the duck
09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
We had them done at a local company and they are great, they have my number on and 'im with my childminder', i also got the children bags and caps, unfortunatly we ordered through another cm and something happened with the payment and they will no longer do them for us, so im on the look out for some new ones :)

Susan

any chance u have a pic of the t shirts as would to see them please