PDA

View Full Version : Networking question

jaz
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
I have to answer the question

'how would you respond to expressions of prejudice from children, parents or anyone else?

I have gone completely brain dead today, probably through lack of sleep.

Any help gratefully recieved.

J
x

sarah707
08-11-2008, 08:21 AM
YOu would tackle them in a sensitive way remembering that all families are different and have varying views according to a history about which you know nothing at all.

So for example, a family might feel they are the victims of racial abuse in the past and call a certain religious or racial group names which you find unacceptable. The child picks up on it and uses the language of his parents. You have to find some way of expressing your concern without alienating the family.

Or a child suddenly says that girls can't do something because they are girls. Now would you treat this differently if the child came from a Muslim household where her older sister has just been sent to India for an arranged marriage... or if the child came from a white household where dad works for an investment bank?

What if parents come to the door one day and say they are stopping little x from coming, here's the notice letter... why? Because you've just taken on y and y is black or disabled or has ADHD or similar and they don't want their child mixing with y. How would you tackle this clear prejudice against a group simply because they have a 'label' when all you see is a cute 3 year old who needs your love and attention.

Sorry, think I've given you more questions than answers :rolleyes:

jaz
08-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Thats perfect - thanks Sarah

J
x