PDA

View Full Version : question about 7 seaters

Hebs
07-11-2008, 05:16 PM
my sons friends dad is a taxi driver and he has a 7 seater and he said they can't carry passengers in the back seats as they arn't classed as "proper" seats :doh: so arn't insured for paying passengers

SO

can we use them for mindees???

:huh:

FizzysFriends
07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Is that because they are designed for children and not adults?

I think if its true then the majority of childminders are in trouble.

SimplyLucy
07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I think the issue with the taxi's was to do with the Zafiras (sp?).

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem with minding considering you have told your insurance company that you are a childminder and have ammended your insurance to take that into consideration.

berkschick
07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
What kind of 7 seater is it?

I have a voyager and cant imagine that not being ok. All 7 seats are proper solid seats with proper belts.

I know a friend had an estate car with 2 seats in the boot and she was not insured to use the seats in the boot.

FizzysFriends
07-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Who would be able to clarify this? Is it down to the individual insurance company?

Hebs
07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
mines a renault grand scenic, where the 2 back seats fold down when not needed

the whole reason i got this car was for minding, :panic:

FizzysFriends
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Im on the phone to my car insurance company now to see where I stand, if I can't put mindees in the back then DD will have go in there.

Chimps Childminding
07-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Im on the phone to my car insurance company now to see where I stand, if I can't put mindees in the back then DD will have go in there.

I'm in trouble if that is the case, I have to take my teenage sons to school and they are both 6' tall, so no way can they sit in the boot, also, with a Zafira, you can't move the middle row of seats to let anyone in and out of the boot when you have car seats strapped in so I usually put the lo's in the boot!!!!!!:panic: :panic:

FizzysFriends
07-11-2008, 05:55 PM
The guy im talking too doesn't know the answer and has had to go off and check.

Hebs
07-11-2008, 05:55 PM
i'm really sorry guys, but i thought we'd better check just to make sure we can use them for mindees

i asked my sons friends dad if they can put kids in the very back seats and he said no, they are not insured

surely they can be used otherwise lots of childminder are in trouble :panic:

Trouble
07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
i have a vw touran and i have full size seats with 3 point seatbelts so i am using it regardless, unless my insurance tells me otherwise.:D

FizzysFriends
07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Tesco say that as the seats are factory fitted and part of the specification of the Renualt Grand Scenic they are insured for use in connection with the businesses of the policy holder.

Im taking it them im ok to let mindees in the boot seats.

Hebs
07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
:clapping: thats good then,

the renault grand scenics also has 3 point seatbelts althout i couldn't imagine an adult sitting in them :laughing:

Trouble
07-11-2008, 06:02 PM
i had a zaferia the seat in the back were really small so i can understand not putting car seats on them

FizzysFriends
07-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Did you work out how to re-set the trip counter on the Grand Scenic? I've give up on the book im waiting for someone on here to work it out.

Hebs
07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
nope, i've just figured out how to use the back wipers :laughing: :blush: :laughing:

kindredspirits
07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
i think taxi-ing is classed as driving for reward, so it might be very different rules. i do know a few taxis round here who use galaxy's etc so it must be ok.

Twinkles
07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I think we'd all be stuffed ( to put it politely :D ) if this were the case.

Rainy
07-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Did you work out how to re-set the trip counter on the Grand Scenic? I've give up on the book im waiting for someone on here to work it out.

On the same arm that you use for the wipers there is a button on the end of the arm. If you press that you can see the mileage,miles per gallon and average speed etc. If you press and hold this for about 4 seconds it will reset everything. I have a scenic but it should be the same as the grand.

Minstrel
07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
wonder how many have dashed out to their cars to have a look? :rolleyes:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rubybubbles
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
On the same arm that you use for the wipers there is a button on the end of the arm. If you press that you can see the mileage,miles per gallon and average speed etc. If you press and hold this for about 4 seconds it will reset everything. I have a scenic but it should be the same as the grand.

I have the grand and yes you do the same:laughing:

no wonder girls and cars have bad names:laughing:

Minstrel
07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
What car do i have????

A blue one:blush:

Hebs
07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
:clapping: thanks for that

no i didn't go running out to the car :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rubybubbles
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
What car do i have????

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: I really do hope your joking:laughing:

Pipsqueak
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
my sons friends dad is a taxi driver and he has a 7 seater and he said they can't carry passengers in the back seats as they arn't classed as "proper" seats :doh: so arn't insured for paying passengers

SO

can we use them for mindees???

:huh:

I would have thought so - they are sold a people carriers / cars and thats exactly what we are using them for - ferrying children around. Otherwise it would be pointless having 7/8 seat vehicles for sale. In all the time I have been arranging and paying for insurance I have never been told or seen on any document that we can;t use these seats for any reason
Think there may be different rules and regs for taxi drivers.:)

Hebs
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
i understand using them for our own family but thought as we were also ferrying "passengers around for reward" so to speak then the rules might be the same for mindees as taxi passengers :panic:

i think i'll double check with my own insurance company just to be sure, it'd be just my luck that i wouldn't be covered when i needed to be :laughing:

kindredspirits
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
hebs, legally we are not 'ferrying passengers for reward' as we are being paid to MIND the child, not take them from A to B.

Hebs
07-11-2008, 11:31 PM
ah

just thought we'd better check

roseybev
07-11-2008, 11:46 PM
as iam a taxi driver aswell part time there are different rules for private car company we are ok 7 seaters are 7 seaters it only taxi that some are different

mandy moo
08-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Maybe its me being a bit thick, but when I started minding in april, & after years of being on my husbands traders insurance I had to get my own (I have a 7 seater Land Rover Discovery) the insurance company asked me for details of car how many seats etc and that I had to have buisness use policy, nothing was said to me about not being able to use the rear seats? The seats are forward facing (some older disco's arnt) and have proper over the sholder seatbelts,
My point is, shouldnt the insurance company pick this sort of thing up
(after all thay are insuring you, it is their job after all) and advise you the customer, if you, as a childminder, are able to put children in the rear seats or not?
Sorry too go on :blush:
Mandy

Heaven Scent
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
There are different degrees of taxi licences issued and if you are only licenced to carry 4 passangers then even if yo drive a 7 seater then you can still only carry 4 - Have you ever noticed when you go out with a group of friends and you have a mini-bus taxi that some of the seats are removed. This is due to the fact that the licence is only issued to carry X amount of passangers. We do not as it stands have to apply to the council for a licence to carry passangers so this does not apply to us.

tulip0803
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
What car do i have????

So have I (and a green one at the minute):)

sskent08
09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
do they mean that older cars with seats in the boot rear facing - like older volvo estates you would not be insured to use?

nikim
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
if you use britax or maxi cosi seats both companys have fit finders on their websites, this will tell you which seats will fit your car and with ref to seven seaters will tell you which ones can go in the boot ,so if the child seat manufacturers say they fit then that is good enough for me , i understand though that renault dont recomend the use of any childseat in the boot of the grand scenic, (i might be wrong), so would not be insured iyswim

Hebs
09-11-2008, 09:17 PM
i understand though that renault dont recomend the use of any childseat in the boot of the grand scenic, (i might be wrong), so would not be insured iyswim

so i wonder if we are insured then???

FizzysFriends
09-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I use booster in the boot seats and it says this is ok in the handbook. I don't think I'd get a car seat in the boot seats anyway because my bums to big to get down the side of the seat to fix it in

Hebs
09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
yeah i'll have to just put the booster seats in the back

emmadines
11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
how daft! im sure they wouldnt make 7 seaters if they werent safe for use therefore they should be insurable for us as minders!!