PDA

View Full Version : Any advice please

sarah1977
07-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Yesterday when we all got home from school i gathered everyone round and gave them a big talk on strange danger by showing them my poster on the door. I asked all of them questions after to see if they all understood which they all did . I then put the poster back on the door and then asked them all to design their own poster by getting some ideas from the poster off the door , they all went off quite excited to do this . One of my mindees asked again what she had to do i explained have a look at the poster on the door we had just looked at and design your own stranger danger poster ...off she went .Everyone presented their posters to me proudly , but this particular mindee gave me hers ,on it she had written fire exit (there is a sign saying this at the top of my door ) but also wrote it backwards !!! This mindee is 5 and in year 1 at school should i be concerned ??

sarah707
07-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a great activity and the children learned loads from it!

Do you think she was tired and distracted after a day at school? Some children don't listen well when they are overdosed on information...

Have you talked to school about her learning and development?

Has she had a cold recently and her hearing might be affected?

Have parents spoken about any concerns?

Does she look at books and pretend to read? Is she starting to write etc?

Lots of children write backwards - mirror writing - it's quite normal and a developmental phase quite a few go through.

Lots of questions and no advice sorry, but I'm sure if there was a problem it will have been picked up elsewhere as well.

Hebs
07-11-2008, 05:19 PM
my son is dyslexic and used to mirror write, perfectly but backwards :laughing:

he's almost 9 and doesn't do it now :thumbsup:

Minstrel
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
maybe after a long day at school she just didnt fancy it!

Or perhaps the fire exit sign just caught her eye!

Mirror writing is very coomon at her age so as an isolated incident i do not think you have anything to worry about.

Interesting project though- i trying to teach my own son stranger awarness too at the mo. x

singlewiththree
07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Sorry I cant help with the question but I bought an Anne Fine reading book about stranger danger yesterday from the chairty shop for 30p a good read for school age children.

Twinkles
07-11-2008, 06:28 PM
No advice but that sounds like a great activity.

sarah1977
08-11-2008, 07:52 PM
thanks everyone as she hasnt been coming for very long i will keep my eye on the situation and let mum know if i think there is room for concern x x

Mollymop
08-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Well, she sounds like my son - he wouldn't write it backwards but he would not take in what you are saying to him. He is under the hopsital at the moment and checking him for ADD and Aspergers - he is nearing 10.

Has she done anything like this before, for example you have you asked her put her coat on but she doesn't because she doesn't remember you asking her to?
It may be innocent, but it does sound exactly like my son.

One incident lately was to put his book in the book tray at school - where did he put it? In the paint cupboard!

Put his PE kit on - what does he do? Put it over the top of his school clothes. "Get some socks Tim" What does he do? Gets some pants.

LIke i said, it maybe innocent, just make notes - if it happens often it is a cause for concern in my opinion.

roseybev
10-11-2008, 01:03 AM
ok i would keep an eye on it note things down look at work from school if at the end you think there is a prob then contact school there is also a web site for dysx if you phone them they will send stuff out to you there a check list for things to look for before you jump in hope this helps