PDA

View Full Version : Childminding & Chickens!

Chloe55
06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know Ofsteds views on owning chickens? I am planning to keep them in a converted shed (which is not registered anyway) but plan on extending out slightly into the back garden. I am also considering letting the hens be free range during the day so they would be able to go in the garden - would this pose a problem does anyone know? I'm pretty sure there can't be an issue with the shed arrangement but not sure how happy they would be about children and chickens mixing together.

Obviously I would follow all the basic hygiene principals and children do not go in my garden unsupervised but just not sure of the rules. Any ideas?

flora
06-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi there, we have chucks, duck and geese but these ate all fenced out of the area the kids play in.

Ofsted don't mind the chucks but they don't like the mess. if you wer planning to let them roam the garden I am not sure they would like the kids coming in to contact with the muck for obvious reasons.

Is your garden big enough to have a large run that you could move about? This way the muck is contained and the kids get the benefit of the animals.

What sort are you getting???