View Full Version : C.A.F can anyone fill me in????

04-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Does anyone know what goes on with the Common Assessment Framework - how it can help etc.

think I may need to use it with one family but need to know more about it - obviously would only use with the parents co-operation and consent.


04-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I think you would need to speak with your development worker/network co-ordinator.

Does the family have a health visitor?
For now document all your concerns, and conversations with family.

what I was told on my safegaurding was that I don't have them to fill in, but If I had concerns to do the above and then speak with lscb and that if one needed to be filled in then someone would do the caf with me. possibly a health visitor???

sorry not much help I know!

05-11-2008, 07:27 AM
I've just done CAF training basically it is really only used if there are several different bodies involved in dealing with the family's problems. It is a way of centralising all the information so that only one key person deals with it.

Have you been approached by other agencies?

05-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Have you been approached by other agencies?

No but i know the school has some concerns about one of the children's behaviour (personally they are fine with me bahaviour wise). I have concerns about the parent/s and how the relationships are affecting the children as well as a number of other things.

05-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm not an expert but I think it is more than likely that it will just be dealt with between, school, parents and yourself. I don't think they would start a CAF for it.

I'm basing this on a conversation I had with our local PVI support worker about a similar situation.

05-11-2008, 12:45 PM
There is information about CAF on the every child matters website.


It is basically a way for all agencies to work with a family/child and to work together. I would have thought that the school would complete a CAF on the child if they have concerns but if they are not aware of family/ relationship issues like you are then they may just decide to deal with the behaviour of the child within school. I would speak to your development worker and ask for advice if you think the family may need support. It would normally be somebody that is trained that would complete a CAF such as a health visitor, teacher, sure start worker but you may be asked to contribute and attend multi agency meetings if they did do a CAF on the family.