PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope??

tomthumb
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I am finding it really difficult to do everything that we are meant to do. The day seems to go so quickly I feel have not got time to do much with the children. Here is a typical day:
6:45 get up
7:30 first mindee arrives
8:00 second mindee arrives
8:15 leave for school
9:15 back from school - we usually go to playgroup or kibrary etc
10:00 snack
11:30 lunch
12:00 nap
They can nap for over 2 hours sometimes
14:30 school run 1
15:30 school run 2
15:45 snacks
then homework, free play
17:00 dinner
17:30 mindee 1 goes home
18:00 mindee 2 goes home

Then it is getting my own children ready for bed, bath, playing....

20:00 my own children are in bed, I just collapse!!

I just feel like it is a round of school runs and snack and I don't have time to do observations or plan anything (the 3 of them are under 16 months so difficult to paln anyway).
I am worried the children are not getting enough and ofsted won't be pleased iyswim. Then, you need to get the house back into shape for the next day! It is exhausting! I was ill for the past 3 weeks so that probably didn't help but I feel I am buried under tons of work and I have not got 1 second to do it!

How do you do it? HELP!!!!!

Thanks for reading and sorry for length!!

Elodie XX

kiddiwinks
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
My day is like yours, and i am struggling also with obs and paperwork.

I have 4 school runs 9.00am 11.45am. 12.45pm and 3.15pm each one takes 20-30 mins each way.
the lunch time ones is the hardest as we pick up girl 11.45 rush home have dinner then back out for the 12.45 to drop boy off at same pre school girl had been to earlier.

Teachers think im mad

Twinkles
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I think you're just feeling overwhelmed today because you've been ill. It's bound to take a while to get your energy levels back to norm.
Can you do planning when lo's have their nap ?
As for obs just do a couple of two - three miniute obs while they play - at toddlers for example and then write them up properly at naptime.

sarah707
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I very rarely do any paperwork in the evenings... I do my safety checks first thing and fit the rest in when they are napping or playing nicely.

I think maybe you are trying to do too much and you need to look at the systems you have in place.

If it's making you feel ill or stressed then it's clearly not working is it? :(

taiwallis
04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
My day is not too disimilar to yours. Especially when i have 3 under 2's, and my own 2 to drop too and from school, and clean house for husband who doesnt seem to think i work!!!

I have recently got myself completely up to date with paperwork, and now, i plan to do it during the day. If OFSTED think it is so important to do it, then it should be done during the time you are with the children, NOT during your family time. I am feeling as though we dont get paid enough to be doing all this paperwork and i would rather spend the time with the children than pointless paperwork that neither the parents nor future schools have any interest in whatsoever!!

Try to keep obs short - and if OFSTED ask, explain your daily routine - i think if they are human they will understand.!!

ps. i tend to find photo obs the easiest - as you can quickly take a snap, and then when they are asleep, print, stick, jot a few notes, and hey presto you have done one!!!

tomthumb
04-11-2008, 08:00 PM
thanks for your replies!! I think I need to put a day aside, get on top of things and then keep it up! It is just finding the day that's a problem!!!
I knew childminding was hard work but I never imagined it would be that hard! I am loving it though and really happy I am doing it, especially with all the help we get on there!:thumbsup:

Elodie XX

breezy
04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I think you need a break, have you thought of just taking a day or two off? I find the running around part of this job exhausting at times and if you havent been well it will seem worse. Take care hun:)

Nettynoo
04-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Elodie, I feel exactly the same as you!!!! I am worn out with all the paperwork/planning/obs/risk assessments/fire drills etc etc!!! Not to mention the cleaning. cooking, tidying and on and on!!!

I have just come back from a course on the EYFS and help with the SEF provided by the Portsmouth branch of the NCMA and they stated that unless in the EYFS booklet it says 'YOU MUST' then it is not law and you do not have to do it but that it is good practice if you do!!!! Feel a little better now but am striving for an outstanding report as am a perfectionist (Virgo!!!)

It does feel like you just finish one activity with the children then its time to tidy up, get snack or lunch/supper, another activity, tidy up etc, feel like I hardly have time to help my children with anything (D 5 1/2 yrs & D 2 yrs old)!

I hope you start to feel better with your health and within your chosen career soon and that you continue as you sound like a very conscientious childminder!!

Chatterbox Childcare
04-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Yep this just about sums up my day!

Observe when you are the library/play group. For young ones your routines are your planning

Have fun

Mollymop
05-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Your day sounds like mine too hun, except I get tuesdays all to myself (a part from before and after schoolers) this is when I write up my obs, etc and do my accounts.

tomthumb
05-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks a lot for your nice replies. I am feeling a lot better today and a lot more positive about things!! I do need some time off so that I can put a system in place that works and I also need to try and not give myself too much work!
Easier said than done!!!!

Elodie X