PDA

View Full Version : talented and gifted?? this may be long..

mandy moo
04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
my mindee is 4yrs 7mths she can read and I dont mean the magic key books either,
It was book fair week at our school, the week before last and I let her pick a book to keep at my house.
the book she choose is on how to make origami dogs, we got home settled my 2 boys and she then read out the instructions on how to make this particular dog! the print was this sort of size!
she can also write sentances with no help from me! and all in capital no lower case.
Im not sure tho wether she may be on the autistic spectrum as she has never called me by my name, there is very little eye contact, she will not say hallo or goodbye to me although when dad drops her of he has to say good bye 3 times, and she will only eat certain foods, and dislikes loud noises.
does this ring any bells with anyone or is she just a bit 'quirky' an expression from someone elses thread I saw earlier
Will be popping up to school later so may have a word with her teacher see if there is anything I can be doing with her at my setting
so this is so long
Mandy

Lottie
04-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Children learn at different rates.I have known a few children like her who are academically bright at that age. None of them autistic. It could be that she is shy and a little introverted, that tended to be the pattern with the children I know.

venus89
04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
My dauhter is down as G&T, again for her ability to read and write. At that kind of age she was socialble to adults but did, and still does to a degree, get a bit frustrated with other children for not understanding her - she's just mentally in advance of them so they don't understand her jokes, for instance. Th older she gets the easier it is for her.

HAve you talked to dad about this? IS she like it at home?

mrsb
04-11-2008, 01:01 PM
My son is also on the register for reading and maths.

When he was born I was a data inputter on the pc from home, by the time he was 2 I could ask where each letter of the alphabet is and he knew them all on the keyboard:eek:

I've never worried about autistic spectrum but he is very shy with other people, he barely speaks even now and he is 9 in april.

I would nip into school to see if they have noticed the same but I wouldn't worry about your lo ;)

Hebs
04-11-2008, 01:30 PM
my daughter could also read "proper" books and write by the age of 3, she actually developed a stammer as her brain was working faster than her mouth could :laughing: she had to be taught to slow down and luckily her stammer has gone.

she is 12 now and still advanced for her age but lacks confidence in social situations :(

mandy moo
05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
[I've heard thro school contacts that when she joined, she was an elective mute!
She doesnt hold a pencil 'Properly'and cant use scissors correctly yet, we are working on that.
I question her about school and as she still in nursery, a lot of her learning is still thro play of course, but
The reading books they send home with her are that of a typical 4-5yr oldnot her true level.. I wonder if they know shes brighter than that?.
Shy, yes I she is/was, but she has gradually come out her shell with me and my 2 boys, but I have noticed she willl not speak when others when they say hello to her or goodbye, so its not me:)
Her maths and counting is pretty good too, found that out yesterday, whilst eating tea:) from what I've heard, above my 7yr old,
Jokes, she doesnt appear to have anyunderstanding them at all, Everything is taken very literally, I think thats the right word?
So where do I go from here, does any one know of any websites that might be of help, what can I do re the EYFS I'm no teacher, have enough trouble helping my 10yr old with his home work:eek:
Will also pop in to school and have a word with her teacher
Sorry this is so long:blush:

tinkerbelle
05-11-2008, 02:11 PM
all 3 of my boys are on the gifted and talented for both maths and english they could all read, tell the time, do times tables and divisions (small ones) and write before starting school one of them became very withdranw turned out he was being bullied at school because of his abilities standing him out from his class they all have work set for them for at least the class above and the oldest is wokring to secondry school standards hes in y5
none of my boys have any problem relating to adults or children but do get frustrated with school and others working at different levels as they have to work alone

Rubybubbles
05-11-2008, 02:22 PM
[I've heard thro school contacts that when she joined, she was an elective mute!
She doesnt hold a pencil 'Properly'and cant use scissors correctly yet, we are working on that.
I question her about school and as she still in nursery, a lot of her learning is still thro play of course, but
The reading books they send home with her are that of a typical 4-5yr oldnot her true level.. I wonder if they know shes brighter than that?.
Shy, yes I she is/was, but she has gradually come out her shell with me and my 2 boys, but I have noticed she willl not speak when others when they say hello to her or goodbye, so its not me:)
Her maths and counting is pretty good too, found that out yesterday, whilst eating tea:) from what I've heard, above my 7yr old,
Jokes, she doesnt appear to have anyunderstanding them at all, Everything is taken very literally, I think thats the right word?
So where do I go from here, does any one know of any websites that might be of help, what can I do re the EYFS I'm no teacher, have enough trouble helping my 10yr old with his home work:eek:
Will also pop in to school and have a word with her teacher
Sorry this is so long:blush:

My friends dd at 3 was reading and by 4 1/2 was EXCATLY the way you descibe this little one! She was also had selctive mutism. She was always so bright, but hated large groups and school was a complete nightmare for her poor soul. She is now 8 and last year was picked to do the narritive for her class show:clapping:

I do think you need to talk to the parents, if the school has told you she is selective mutism. At 4 1/2 she shouldn't be holding scissors or pencil correctly ect this is still all about learning at this stage.

mandy moo
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Children all develop at a diffrent rate and I ve never been one to 'worry' if my own boys were not doing the same as other peoples, both mine could hold a pencil and use scissors by their 4th birthday and started school.:blush:
Its all gone down hill since tho :( and we have 'issues with the eldest' He cant read 'properly', hes reads little better than his brother, although he, (hes 7) is doing o.k.
My mindee was a selective mute, (she talks to me, not whispers) she now whispers in school apparantly, mum is painfully shy too apparantly according to the teacher I spoke to although I cant say i've noticed it being 'painfull',

tho saying that, both parents drop or grab and run .. they dont seem to like to talk about how the afternoons gone, Just has she been good and thats it, I try to initiate conversation but they just seem to try and get out as soon as they can.
However saying that I sent out a parental questionaire and they seem more than happy with me and mindee enjoys coming!!
The teacher also suggested that I wasnt to worry about her too much and If there is any thing 'wrong' they'll pick it up in reception..
So I guess I'll just keep my worries to myself and hope for the best..
Thanks for listening
Mandy