PDA

View Full Version : chickens

gemmcd
04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
last week I recieved my eglu and 3 chickens and they have made my life so much fun! The chickens are so tame - you can cuddle them, they follow you around nosily and my mindees think they are brilliant. We have just made them some warm weetabix which they gobbled up! In about 4 - 6 weeks should be getting eggs too!

Can't rave about them enough - highly recommend them!

I go them from omlet -

http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php

expensive but they make fantastic pets!
Have tried to put some pics on - not sure if it works but if does then you can see them and also my eldest giving Dory a cuddle!
Gx

Tatia
04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Awwww thanks for sharing!!! I love chickens. I had 5 hens and a rooster before I left The States. We were going to get a few hens for our garden his year but are putting off til next Spring now. I can't wait.:clapping:

You new ladies are absolutely gorgeous!

crazybones
04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
I wanted one of those (along witht the chickens too). Hubby is not convinced :rolleyes: as he doesnt think anyone will help out when we are on hols.

Pedagog
04-11-2008, 01:10 PM
We have chickens and ducks, and used to have quail and a goose as well. They are great fun, aren't they?

katickles
04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I really want chickens but hubby doesn't think we have the room & said that they are really time consuming. Oh & we have 2 cats which he said is very unfair:(

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/23/2306/230632.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Monkey1
04-11-2008, 01:17 PM
One of my mindees is having some so i am hoping to arrange a visit!:D Hubby won't let me:( ........he said whats next?....a chimpanzee?:rolleyes: :clapping: :D Why not?:blush:

FizzysFriends
04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I'd love to have some chickens, just a couple. Infact I've picked a coup and called my mom to see if she will have them in her garden as I don't think my dog would be very happy. We are at my parents loads though so can see them often.

Apart from cleaning do they require much care?

gemmcd
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
The eglu is very low maintenance. Every day I check their food levels but at mo it is going down slowly (when they lay they will eat more) and have only topped it up once in week. Fresh water every day, empty poo tray once a day which is just a case of pulling it out and emtying it in bushes! My son lets them out in morning, they go to bed themselves and he shuts their door when they do. Once a week I clean the inside a bit more thoroughly - but that took me about 5 - 10 mins tops at weekend. That is it, except I adore them so much I am outside letting htem out to free range and cuddle them, but many people don't get to do that as they work away from home. I think they are easier to keep than a guinea pig or rabbit as they smell a lot more, mine don't smell at all. ( I feed them garlic powder so everything smells of garlic!) If you look at website you will see how low maintenance they are with the eglu!

Gx

Donkey
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
chickens and cats though????????

i would love to have a couple of chickens in the garden, but our garden is not massive and also our neighbourhood is full of cats. plus I dont think the neighbours would be too impressed!!!

how much are vaccinations and vets bills for them though?

think I will have to stick with my wormery and my cat for now

Donkey
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I have read the site and they seem to get on fine with cats and if I buy the special pegs I reckon it would be fine on my un even (sightly downnhill) garden..

omg ryan will kill me

Ripeberry
04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I've got chickens in an enclosed run and as long as they are not bantam sized chickens then cats won't bother them. Our neighbour 3 doors down has 15 chickens in her garden who wander freely and she has 3 dogs and 6 cats and they all get on together!
As we have an enlosed run, we don't have any grass left in there! So we have to supplement by feeding them grass and layers pellets, but when we are digging over the veg patch they like to come out and pick up the worms and the snails (their favourite).

Donkey
04-11-2008, 02:28 PM
if they like snails and slugs then the are welcome in my garden!!! I hate snails and slugs. so long as they don't break into the wormery I am happy.

I have a 2 tier garden. Patio at the top with lots of tubs and pots for growing. then down the steps is grass on a downhill slope.
I have conifer hedging all way around with chicken wire all the way around the edge (to stop children escaping)

do you think I would be able to have chickens??

would love some, but the price of those runs are not cheap!
gemmcd - did you put them through as a tax expense :D

sorry for thread hi-jacking, but this has been something close to my heart for a while

shopshelleyd
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh how lovely, I have always wanted chickens. Do you have to let them wander round the garden? Does their poo make a mess of lawn / dangerous to children??

FizzysFriends
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
They have some really nice runs on ebay for a fraction of the price.

Stanfield
04-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi, Just looked at the iglu. Looks brill, the website crashed just before I could look at the price though, typical!
How much did you pay for yours?
Also, were the chickens friendly when you got them? I get a bit scared of animals, but if they are already tame, I can keep it going. I was attacked by a cockeral when I was little and a bit weiry still!:panic: :panic: :panic:

Donkey
04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
with 2 chickens and food for a few weeks...
.£395:eek:

Stanfield
04-11-2008, 03:48 PM
with 2 chickens and food for a few weeks...
.£395:eek:

O

:eek:

Tatia
04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
A full grown hen is more than a match for a cat.:D I'd be more worried about foxes. My dozy cocker spaniel would wanna love em' all up (hens, not foxes)!:rolleyes:

We're actually converting an old but remarkably well-built rabbit hutch which will have its own run. Just can't decide whether to get 2 or 3 chickens now.:D