PDA

View Full Version : Speech development - can anyone help?

Cupcakes
03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi ladies,

Its quite cheeky of me to ask you all, but please could you give me your best ideas to help with developing speech? The reason its a cheeky ask, is because its regarding my son as opposed to a mindee. He is 26 months old and still not talking. I have tried possibly everything in the book to develope his speech but we're not getting anywhere.

What approach would you use, and what do you think about things such as TV? Whats the limits.

I am clutching at straws which is why I have come to you ladies, as I know you're all so experienced with children and perhaps have come across this before. I am worried sick about my little boy.

Thank you so much, xx

DudleyChildmind
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
I am so pleased you posted about this because my grandson, who is 17 months old, still isn't talking so I would welcome any advice :)

Trouble
03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
just keep taking to him and encourage sounds

has anyone checked his hearing?

singlewiththree
03-11-2008, 08:51 PM
My daughter is 27mths and has only just started with full sentances we got muma, dad etc and simple words but not any sort of conversation, she currently goes to a childminder 3 days and she said she didnt talk at all for her, at home we got simple words but in the last month she has just exploded its like it has finally clicked and she is talking ten to the dozen and amazing everyone, so fingers crossed.

Trouble
03-11-2008, 08:53 PM
My daughter is 27mths and has only just started with full sentances we got muma, dad etc and simple words but not any sort of conversation, she currently goes to a childminder 3 days and she said she didnt talk at all for her, at home we got simple words but in the last month she has just exploded its like it has finally clicked and she is talking ten to the dozen and amazing everyone, so fingers crossed.

i had this happen with one of my mindees then he never shut up:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :D

Pauline
03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Have you tried puppets?

I find that little ones will have great rapport with a puppet and 'talk' to them if the puppet talks back asks them questions etc.

Keep it simple, to start with get the puppet to ask questions that can be answered with a nod or shake of the head, as they get more confident and over time, use more questions (talk in a funny voice too as it gets them really into it) it is amazing how they will interact with an inanimate object! :)

miffy
03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Assuming that there is no problem with your ds's hearing then have a look at these websites

www.talkingpoint.org.uk

www.ican.org.uk

Miffy xx

Twinkles
03-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Also www.talkingchild.com
and google 'chatter matters' you can get a free dvd.

mummyof3
03-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Singing nursery rhymes over and over again throughout the day helped my son. I started singing and leaving a gap and he started to fill the missing word in and now he is singing the whole song!

Remember every child is different some will speak early and others won't. All my 3 children learnt to speak at different ages and one still has speech therapy now.

Angela234
03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Lots of clear talking like the others say use puppets singing songs don't worry if they don't join in. Also lots of listening games i had a little one didn't talk or join in with singing then suddenly she started singing her favourite songs using lots of the words.

They do vary

Angela

beerheaven
03-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Just a quick note of reassurance. A friend of mine told me the other day that her son didn't talk until the age of 3...............he is now in the top stream of all his subjects at senior school!! :)

Tatia
04-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Does he listen and understand what you are saying to him? If you give him a simple, 2 part command, such as 'get your coat and put it on', does he respond appropriately? If so, then relax. :)

Someone mentioned it above but play lots of listening games. Learning to listen is the most important first step in learning to communicate. Get down on his level, make eye contact and use simple words and sentences but do it a lot. Read to him with plenty of inflection in your voice and then, pause, look at him expectantly and give him some time to contribute. Play an imaginative game alongside him and use 'possibility thinking' which is, instead of chattering the entire time, simply asking questions such as "I wonder what would happen if we..." or "Why is this toy car faster than that one..." then don't be afraid of being silent for awhile to give him time to answer.

Take listening walks and identify different noises.

Give him pots and pans or old cereal boxes tied to the fence to bang and make noise.

A little tub of everyday items such as car keys, shiny spoons, rough sponges just to sit and explore. You can sit with him nd just make simple statements such as 'is that rough or smooth?'

On my website, follow the link that says 'Children's Literacy'. At my drop-in group, we had a communicatin workshop and I have written about a lot of the ideas the experts gave me. http://www.little-stars.me.uk/

Cupcakes
04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks so much ladies, for your invaluable comments and advice.

My son doesnt say a single world, only sounds. He does carry out instructions though and can point to body parts etc - so I am relieved to know that all is not lost.

I will take a look at the recommended websites.

You're lovely ladies, thank you xx

Chatterbox Childcare
04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I would talk to your Health Visitor who can then, if required, refer you to other professionals who work in this area and they will give you games and exercises, test hearing etc...

It might be that this isn't required but at least it would put your mind at ease.

maple
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
My son is now 4 and has had speech delay since he was 2 1/2. I was concern over the clarity of his speech and spoke to my HV who said he was a typical lazy boy and his speech would come eventually. I was not satisfied with nthis and said I wanted him refered to a speech thearapist. After a lot of battles they finally agreed and this is when I found out he does has a speech delay.

So what I suppose I am saying if you are worried speak toyour HV and if you don't get you want fight for it. I had to and if I hadn't I think my sons speech wouldn't be what it is today.

Hope you get it sorted.

devoncm
13-11-2008, 02:56 PM
My step son is 4 and its only been the last few months he has been understood, somtimes it is still hard to understand him but he understands what he's told, Ellie who has just turned 5 is our translater if we dont know otherwise he will show us what he wants, when we know we will go over the word a few times so he gets to know what sounds like.

Pipsqueak
13-11-2008, 03:21 PM
If you are concerned ask for a referral to the speech and language department or give them a call directly.

I CAN and Chatter Matters have some great tips

Allow him time to answer and even if you get a "sound" praise him and repeat back "yes thats right I will get you a drink"

Make sure others don't talk for him.

If he is hearing ok (have you had this checked?) then the speech will come, limit background noise