PDA

View Full Version : Oh no-new after school club starting up!

RedDragon
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
At the school I pick up from. :panic:

At the moment I only take to school and pick up.
For 1 reason or another I haven't got any babies during the day (well, at all).

So after school is my only income at the moment.

It's starting after Christmas - and mentioned £9 per 3 hour session-don't know if you have to pay per term, in advance, pay for all 5 days when you only come along for 2 etc.

Really hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect on my work.

Hebs
03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
the after school club my son goes to charges £7 per session (night) and you only pay for the nights they go :thumbsup:

HOWEVER

I have 3 after school pick ups waiting for me to register as the kids HATE the after school clubs and parents would much rather have them in a "homely setting"

I know that IF there was a childminder who collected from my son's school now he'd be going to them rather than the after school club

:clapping:

charleyfarley
03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
The same thing happened here.

I now have no after schoolers not because of the club but due to me giving notice to one family and the other moved schools.

However I do think I'm not getting any enquiries because of this club. I'm not sure they are doing that well either at the moment though as they were offering a discount during the last school hols to try and get people in.

At ours you only pay for the sessions you use and when you want them

Carol xx

singlewiththree
03-11-2008, 06:56 PM
They might do it as a set session fee which is what ours has done which means they are actually losing customers as anyone who doesnt want the full 3hrs has to pay for the whole session. At the moment our school offers loads of free afterschool clubs for about an hour and then the children go to the club but they are still charged for the full rate so the few childminders at school are getting more children :)

RedDragon
03-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you all.

I spoke to 2 parents and they said they wouldn't want their children going anywhere else-Phew. But, those 3 children finish in July 2009 anyway. Will just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

sarah707
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I had a 100 plus nursery open up round the corner... and they offer pick ups from the local school.

So far, nobody has chosen them over me I don't think but I agree it is a worry.

All you can do is carry on being fab :D

RedDragon
03-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh thank you darling! :D

I do have enough work (at the minute) but of course that can change in an instant.

The only thing that is getting to me a bit is I've had 2 lots of families come to see me - 1 wasn't sure where exactly they wanted the CM to be (they lived in 1 village, I lived in another, they both worked quite a way both in different directions)so I didn't get that baby - the 2nd said yes at first and then didn't like my terms (she wanted to just pay me when she worked).

There have also been 2 others who have contacted my CM friend (she is full with babies) but haven't contacted me :panic:

I suppose it's like builders giving quotes lol - you take loads of time and don't get the job - even though you (hope) there is nothing wrong with you.

I will keep positive and try not to "witter" as they say around here.

Rubybubbles
03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I had a 100 plus nursery open up round the corner... and they offer pick ups from the local school.

So far, nobody has chosen them over me I don't think but I agree it is a worry.

All you can do is carry on being fab :D

well said Sarah

I have siblings that used to go to the afterschool clun when they lived here before, and this time mum wanted to go to a childminder over an afterschool club:clapping:

it really is down to personal preferrence, keeping my fingers crossed for you

LisaH
03-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Absolutely, not all parents want their kids to be at school till 6pm!!!

I worried when my local school started an after school club 18mths ago but have to say it didnt affect me.

I'm getting lots of calls now too since I heard it is closing down after xmas!!! Shame for the parents really because all local minders are full and cant take any of them.

I can understand your worries but I would be surprised if it had a major effect on you business.:)

angeldelight
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Hope it does not affect you

Angel xx

beerheaven
03-11-2008, 11:08 PM
There is no after school club here - they did try to set one up but they were unable to recruit a leader!! All my parents at the time said that they much preferred a childminding setting.
I have heard that in areas where after school clubs have been set up, childminders may lose business initially, but quite often things pick up when parents realise the downsides of clubs!! :)
So chin up!!

roseybev
04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
i charge £4 per hour just for the days i have the kids

Ripeberry
04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm a weird position as i'm on the committee for the local pre-school and it is joining up with the after school club! So i'm basically helping to keep two settings running whilst trying to be a childminder for myself!
Hopefully by July i'm leaving the committee once and for all as i've been on it for 4yrs :( . Reminds me, i've got two lots of minutes to write up from last week!

Rasharoon
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I've an after school club where I live and they moved to new premises which means they can have more children.
They charge £4.00 per hour and include a free meal.
When I saw them do the pick up, have to say there were a lot of children so hence the reason I get no enquiries for this age group.

berkschick
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I have my first after schooler starting in January - the only enquiry I had in a year!

The only reason I got her was that I open earlier than them and they need me full days in the holidays so I got tough and said I would only do it if I had the after school hours too!

yummymummy
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Never get afterschool enquiries these days, all our schools have extended schools centres. Only get them when there is a waiting list at afterschool club and find that they say bye bye when they get a place as they are so much cheaper than local childminders can afford to charge! :censored: