PDA

View Full Version : A few questions please?

Minnie mouse
02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Im just going over all of my paperwork etc as im due an inspection very soon and wondered if you could help with a few questions i have please?

Does anyone have a minor events form for minor accidents that dont require an accident form (minor bumps, nose bleeds etc) or is there one on a website i could look at and adjust?

Also does anybody use illness forms? what should they contain?

Where can i find ofsteds safety regulations for car seats, stair gates and other safety equipment?

What is an assessment record book? i use a learning journey and add all observations in the back and link them to the learning journey is this the same sort of thing?

Do we have to do progress review forms or is showing parents the childs learning journey and scrap book with creative work and photos and observations reguarly good enough for ofsted?

Thanks so much your help would be greatly appreciated :)

madasahatter
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
With regards to accident recording I have a duplicate book that I fill in when anything occurs (however small), giving all the details plus mine and parents signatures. Parent takes one copy and other copy stays in the book. This has always been fine with Ofsted.

Not sure what you mean by illness forms. Do you mean sickness policy?

Ofsted do not have any safety regulations regarding equipment but you are expected to keep them well maintained (regular risk assessments/health & safety assessments?)

The assessment record book can be whatever you want it to be. I have those envelope file things for each child, in which I keep observations, photos etc

No we don't have to do progressive reviews, things like daily diaries and regular conversations with parents will generally cover this. Having a scrapbook of annotated photos is good evidence of what you do.

Try and keep it simple if you can!

sarah707
02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Im just going over all of my paperwork etc as im due an inspection very soon and wondered if you could help with a few questions i have please?

Does anyone have a minor events form for minor accidents that dont require an accident form (minor bumps, nose bleeds etc) or is there one on a website i could look at and adjust?

They are all accidents and all need to be recorded as accidents.

Also does anybody use illness forms? what should they contain?

If a child falls ill I contact parents and write an incident report. Date, name, what's happened, when called parents, if emergency contact list has to be followed, when someone came for child... that sort of thing.

Where can i find ofsteds safety regulations for car seats, stair gates and other safety equipment?

Best place for safety info is the rospa website.

What is an assessment record book? i use a learning journey and add all observations in the back and link them to the learning journey is this the same sort of thing?

Sounds like it, sorry I don't have one.

Do we have to do progress review forms or is showing parents the childs learning journey and scrap book with creative work and photos and observations reguarly good enough for ofsted?

There are 2 types of assessment - formative which is the type you do every day when you are watching chidlren play ... summative which is a summary of their learning over a period. This must be shared with parents (Ofsted reports are saying 'regularly' but not giving a period of time.

Thanks so much your help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ask again if there's anything not covered :D

madasahatter
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
With regards to accident recording I have a duplicate book that I fill in when anything occurs (however small), giving all the details plus mine and parents signatures. Parent takes one copy and other copy stays in the book. This has always been fine with Ofsted.

Not sure what you mean by illness forms. Do you mean sickness policy?

Ofsted do not have any safety regulations regarding equipment but you are expected to keep them well maintained (regular risk assessments/health & safety assessments?)

The assessment record book can be whatever you want it to be. I have those envelope file things for each child, in which I keep observations, photos etc

No we don't have to do progressive reviews, things like daily diaries and regular conversations with parents will generally cover this. Having a scrapbook of annotated photos is good evidence of what you do.

Try and keep it simple if you can!

SORRY DOUBLE POSTED

Minnie mouse
02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
thanks very much for taking the time to reply. much appreciated, great help x

sarah707
02-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Just to clarify this point...

Ofsted reports (on the Ofsted website) are saying things like...

Develop arrangements to seek the views of parents

Develop arrangements to inform parents about their children’s progress

Improve the arrangements for involving parents in their children's assessments

AND the Eyfs states -

As judgements are based on observational evidence gathered from a wide range of learning and teaching contexts, it is expected that all adults who interact with the child should contribute to the process, and that account will be taken of information provided by parents. An essential feature of parental involvement is an ongoing dialogue, building on the partnership begun by any previous practitioner(s). Settings should report progress and achievements to parents throughout the EYFS.

Yes I agree it can be covered with daily diaries etc but there is a clear requirement for ongoing meetings with parents and some kind of summary assessment to be shared through the year.

Hope this helps :D