PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: contract for new mindee

Cazz
01-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Getting a bit ahead of myself but fingers crossed I have a mindee lined up for the New Year so I need to have everything clear so I can give his mum the relevant information.

It would involve collecting a 3 year old from Nursery at 11.30am and then taking him to the school at 3.00pm for handover to mum who will be collecting his older brother. She doesn't want me to be on call for the Nursery so would be paying me for 3.5 hours each day from 11.30am.

In the school holidays, she would need me to look after both boys from 9.00am until 3.00pm. Do you do a seperate contract for holidays for both boys?

Also, I have a baby of my own who will be 13 months old by then so I would be able to look after one other mindee under 5 year but presumably I couldn't take another even for a couple of hours up to 11.30am as this mindee would need that place in the holidays? If this is the case, would you normally ask the parent to pay anything in term time as you have to keep that space open? (Hope you understand what I mean!).

Finally, the older boy will be 5 in May 2009 and is starting full-time school in January. Am I right in thinking that for ratio purposes he would be classed as an over 5 for the school holidays up to his birthday? Would I need to do EYFS observations for him if I am only looking after him in the holidays?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Carole x

tulip0803
01-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I state in all my literature and policies that "Full fees will be payable whilst your child is attending Meithrin (nursery) if I drop off and collect OR the hours are required during school holidays. You are not paying for my time you are paying for a place at my setting."

I am sorry but I cannot help with EYFS

beerheaven
01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I normally charge when a child is at playgroup since it is impractical to fill those few hours with another child plus, as in your case, the parent will probably want me to care for their child during school hols.

As for the rising 5 year old - once he is at school full time, i.e doing 10 sessions at school, then he will be included in the over 5 years old group. I'm under the impression that you are still, in theory, supposed to be working within EYFS framework with him until the August after his 5th birthday. I think as long as you are providing suitable activities / resources then you should be fine!

Hope all this waffle makes sense - I think I need my bed now!! :)

Cazz
02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I can understand the logic of charging while the youngest is at nursery to keep the place open so I'll have to mention that to his mum. Not sure what she will think to the idea as she knew that she would have to pay me while he was there if I was to be an emergency contact so that's probably the reason why she didn't want that! Little bit awkward as it's someone I used to work with - I may suggest she pays half normal fees for the time he is at nursery or am I being too generous?

Carole x

beerheaven
02-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I personally charge the full fee during playgroup hours but obviously it's entirely up to you.
Don't forget it's your business and you set fees as you see fit!! :)

Cazz
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I know I'm going to have to be strong and business like but I just feel a bit guilty charging a full fee when I'm not looking after him! Obviously it would be full fee in the holidays.

Perhaps I'll try for the full fee and if she's not happy I may do her " a special price of half fee". I don't want to lose the mindee over it as I'm only just starting out and it will get my business off the ground. Having said that, she's very keen for me to childmind for her as I used to give up my 2 days off work every week and look after him as a favour when he was about 7 months old (for several months) and he's a lovely little boy. Before you say it, I've made it clear on more than one occasion that I'm starting a business and it would be a business arrangement and I'm confident that she won't take advantage - she's used childminders before and knows that if she blows it with me, she'll have to go to another one who won't do her any favours either.

Carole x

beerheaven
02-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Seems like you've got it sorted in your own mind - go for it girl!! :)

Cazz
02-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks - just hope Ofsted/CRB doesn't take too long!

Carole x