PDA

View Full Version : i have just bought african snails

honey
30-10-2008, 04:35 PM
baby ones ofcourse- the kids love them they cost me 99p each, i got 3 1 each for my boys and 1 for the mindees. but the tanks etc cost me another 63 quid, hubby wasnt pleased he he he he.

Andrea08
30-10-2008, 05:05 PM
wow sounds gr8,
we got snake skin for the mindees to look at as my daughter wont let us have a snake ,, but saved me mega££££ on the tank lol
have you got a pic?

Kelly
30-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I know this sounds discusting but apparently they poo the colour of the food they eat, so if you feed them beetroot..... same with brocoli :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DCS
30-10-2008, 05:45 PM
African Snals are a food delicacy in some parts of the world.

I have not tried them.

Cecile
x

Rubybubbles
30-10-2008, 06:46 PM
ewwww slimey things

errmmm hope you have fun:panic:

Annie_T
30-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Ive got one ..well my boy has .. didnt pay for it as was given away on freecycle :) cant believe you paid £63 for a tank .. mine cost £15. (its just a normal fish tank)

dont use a heat lamp as it kept warm as it is.

be careful as they will breed (have both sex organs!!) Ours not done it yet but my fella's dads one did other year - nightmare!!!

They like cuttle fish bone (keeps shell strong and healthy)
most fruit as well .. ours live on lettuce most time but we do change food - cucumber, apples, toms.

When you hold them to make sure hands are wet ..otherwise it will burn them (avoid soap as well til after)

honey
30-10-2008, 09:24 PM
havent got pics at the mo but will take some tomorrow 4 u all to see. they are only baby ones at the mo and spend half their time buried in he dirt. The kids love them tho, they give them food etc.

I like snails as we have a rule in our house never to crush snails if we see them outside insted i ( or the kids & hubby) pick them up out if the way and move them. My mom thinks i am insane as she crushes them---- to me thats eewwwww :laughing:

honey
30-10-2008, 09:29 PM
thanks for that bit about the soap. I know about the rest but thanks anyway. The tanks were £15 each but i bought 3 tanks, 1 each for my 2 boys rooms so they can have a pet each and 1 for the little ones. We are going away in the van for the weekend so i hope they will be o.k :panic:

Saranotts
30-10-2008, 09:33 PM
If anyone else wants an african land snail, pm me as I have a tank full of them!! They breed even more than rabbits (yep I've got 5 of those as well). I do believe they taste nice with garlic butter but my son wont let me find out.

Sara

mjw
30-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I seem to have trouble with little flies in the tank with the snails What do you have in the tank...I have been using peat but wonder if this causes the flies?
Mary

honey
30-10-2008, 10:01 PM
i use that coco fibre thats in the block it has to be sterile apparantly:(

childmind04
31-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I have 6 babies ready in 2 weeks if anyone wants any, i use peat or spagnum moss, you can get flies if their food is in too long and the are not eating it, mine are 2 years old now but i usually freeze the eggs but these ones must have been laid as i went on hols ad had started to hatch when i came home!!!

I got my tank from wilkinsons for about £10, i find the plastic ones are easier to empty for cleaning :)

Susan

Annie_T
31-10-2008, 04:24 PM
thanks for that bit about the soap. I know about the rest but thanks anyway. The tanks were £15 each but i bought 3 tanks, 1 each for my 2 boys rooms so they can have a pet each and 1 for the little ones. We are going away in the van for the weekend so i hope they will be o.k :panic:

you can leave them for wkend without food, we only feed ours 3/4 times week ... and ours is growing quite big now lol (guess yours about size a normal garden snail at mo)

i see bout tanks thats ok then .... they fab pet tho dont do much haha

Rach30
31-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Ha ha ha !!! Check regularly for eggs , then freeze them (eggs) and get rid . Unless you want about 300 more :D

Banana
31-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Hope you enjoy them!

we've got 2 and they have grown so big i nearly cry just looking at them! x

honey
31-10-2008, 10:08 PM
thanks for all the advice at least i can rest easy now. We are going to leave the heating on for them over the weekend. I will just give them a spray, leave them a bit of food and go.

jellytot
31-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I seem to have trouble with little flies in the tank with the snails What do you have in the tank...I have been using peat but wonder if this causes the flies?
Mary

i get little flys in mine also, i use multi purpose compost thought it was uneaten food causin it. i had to put mine together and have just had first batch of eggs. boy i knew they laid alot but you dont realise till you see just how many!!!!!!!!!!

jellytot
31-10-2008, 10:54 PM
thanks for all the advice at least i can rest easy now. We are going to leave the heating on for them over the weekend. I will just give them a spray, leave them a bit of food and go.

i wouldn leave heatin on for them (cost too much) if they get too cold they will just seal themselves in their shell and come back out when they warm up