PDA

View Full Version : New Parent messing me around?

Tiisku
19-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I have been only childminding occasionally for a neighbours girl, and signed a contract with another family in November, for their baby to start with me 9th January until July, excluding school holidays. Baby's mum is starting a college course and the college would pay for it. I explained that I will contact her college for the payments. I went away for Christmas, and when I came back I contacted the college she told me she will be attending, and they hadn't even heard of her and that college uses their own creche for people anyway ! I called her the day before her son was supposed to start,and she would not give me her school's phone number, she was very busy at the time apparently and said she has asked someone from the school to call me. Then she said that she will pay me and then get the money back. And just before we finished the call she said "oh the school will start in two weeks".

We agreed in the contract that I will pick up/ drop off the baby as mum doesn't drive. I am new to this business and in the astonishment I didn't realise to ask if she had actually been planning to call me as I had been expecting to collect the baby next morning ! I also forgot to tell her that she will still need to pay for the unused two weeks, but I sent her the invoice in post the next morning. Baby is supposed to start on Wednesday, have not heard from mum or her school neither I have been paid the two weeks money yet.

What do you guys think? I'm a bit nervous that A) she is not going to pay B) she is messing me around and I could have had someone else here. I already had to turn someone else down as I have two children of my own !

Thanks everyone, it's good to get it out !:(

fionamal
19-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I would give her another call asking her if there is a problem and are your sevices still required. That way you will know for definate and you can then take on another child is shes not wanting you.

At the worst you may have lost 2 weeks pay if you cant get her to pay you.

Tily Bud
19-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I would give her another call asking her if there is a problem and are your sevices still required. That way you will know for definate and you can then take on another child is shes not wanting you.

At the worst you may have lost 2 weeks pay if you cant get her to pay you.

I agree i'd do that too x

sarah707
19-01-2008, 11:34 AM
What you've got to remember is that we often come at the bottom of the things to do list when it comes to parents keeping in touch with us...

Until, that is, the parents want us to do something for them, then we leap right to the top and it needs doing NOW...!

Disclaimer...

Not all parents are like this, some are absolutely lovely;

I do enjoy my job and working in partnership with parents is a big drum which Ofsted are currently banging, and I would like to think we can all achieve this;

I am not bitter and twisted usually :laughing:

However, when I find myself standing in the pouring rain at 315 with a fractious toddler on reins and a baby in a buggy screaming his head off, to receive a text from a parent saying his child will be collected by someone else... I get a little disillousioned :D

ruby
19-01-2008, 07:48 PM
know how you feel

went to the school friday picked up from infants yard went to junior yard to see one of my mindee going out through the gate with his father . Then after waiting for ten minutes in the rain had to go and find the teacher only to find out the one i was waiting for was sent home ill
not a good day

cathy

Rubybubbles
22-01-2008, 10:56 AM
personally if this is the start, I would get out while I can, you have bent over backwards so far for her with nothing in return