PDA

View Full Version : Do l and where?

tara
29-10-2008, 07:47 PM
My little 6 month old mindee has been put on a inhaler for a short while until his chesty cough gose and mum has given me some teething gel for him as well.Do l need to put these in the medication folder? Also what do l do with the first page called your emergency action plan ?

Blaze
29-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Do you know how to administer an inhaler to a 6 month old?...it's not easy & can be distressing for the LO. Be very careful with this...I was put in this situation... child had cold ...saw dr that very morning... (luckily i did know how to administer it...taught Mum), but was put in a situation where i had to resusitate a nearly 8 month old...then administer the inhaler whilst waiting for abulance:panic: :eek: Luckily I recognised what was wrong with him (broncholitus)because my son suffered with it when he was 6 months...had he not, I wouldn't have had the experience & full knowledge necessary to deal with the situation...& the outcome would have been tragic...as it was mindee made a full recovery & i received high praise from the medical professionals.:blush: I should add that I had all the correct paperwork in place & adherred to the rules in place at the time...oh did i mention it was my first day as a childminder & my first time with this LO!:eek:

sarah707
29-10-2008, 08:03 PM
You need to...

Get some training for using the inhaler with the child from your local asthma nurse... training should be individual to the child (so if you take on another child with asthma you will need training for that child again) and you should ask the nurse for a note or certificate to say you've been trained so you can show it to Ofsted ...

Write out a medication form for using the inhaler and teething gel and make sure parents sign it...

When the child arrives with you, find out when the inhaler and gel were last given and write it down (to make sure you are not overdosing)...

Every time you administer the inhaler or teething gel, write it down (dose, time etc) and get parent to sign... THAT DAY!

Hth :D

Blaze
29-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Sarah...you type far to quickly!!!! I have just spent ages typing what you've posted & deleted it, as you've worded it better!:rolleyes: :D

tara
29-10-2008, 08:20 PM
I was trained with my own child.Who is 17 months old now so when she showed me l already knew.Ive worked on childrens wards so got plenty of experience from there as well.Thanks evey one :)

Ripeberry
29-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow! Blaze, what a way to start your childminding career! Bet nothing fazes you now:eek:

Twinkles
29-10-2008, 10:26 PM
...oh did i mention it was my first day as a childminder & my first time with this LO!:eek:

OMG Blaze , you don't do things by halves do you ?

Blaze
30-10-2008, 03:14 AM
:laughing: no apparently not!:rolleyes:

roseybev
30-10-2008, 08:19 AM
you need to be showen how to use it and you have to mark that down every time but i dont think you have to mark down the teething jel