PDA

View Full Version : ok to juggle?

butterfly
29-10-2008, 06:48 PM
i had a mum phone this week looking for a place for her 9 yr old before school and 5 sessions (either whole days or mornings) for her 2 yr old. at the mo i couldn't fit in the 2 yr old as i only have afternoons spare but i really want this one as it would be loads of money and all my last spaces filled. so i've spoken to a couple of my mums who only use me for time off not work and explained the situation and have asked them if they would mind shifting their hours to accommodate the new family. one seems fine but one is still thinking about it- do you think i've done the right thing? i did stress that they should not feel pressured to swap as their place was booked first but that it would be really helpful if they did!! i would just love to be totally full and enjoy a full wage!! hopefully the other one will swap (although if i lose her i won't be gutted!) and then everything will work out!

mum2two
29-10-2008, 06:58 PM
If you don't ask you'll never know. Like you've said, if you're having them to give the mum time off, then I can't see the harm in asking.

Hopefully the other will agree, and you'll be full! :thumbsup:

xx

Twinkles
29-10-2008, 07:01 PM
You have to think of your business. If the new ones pay more and you're not actually letting anyone down - just asking them to be flexible , go for it.

sarah707
29-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Fingers crossed it works out for you!

I've juggled loads of times over the years and usually find parents very accommodating ... though sometimes they need reassuring I won't be so busy their child will miss out

miffy
29-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I think you've been very generous and I hope the other mum agrees to swap too. If she doesn't I think you have to make a decision - it would be a shame to miss out on the other work

Good luck and I hope it works out for you

Miffy xx

angeldelight
30-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Good luck

Hope it all works out for you

Angel xx

RedDragon
30-10-2008, 08:11 AM
I've also been in that position. I had one child who I just walked to big school where his brother met him to take him home on the bus. It worked out at £1 a day (old contract, I've learned since!) and was using a whole space.

I explained this to the parent as I had received a few requests for Childcare and had to turn them down. Parent offered to bump my money up to £50 a month which although wouldn't be as much money as a different child suited me.

I would suggest giving it a trial run (people get worried when there are changes) and tell parent see how it goes - that way you are on step 2 - a bit closer to what you want.

Good luck.

roseybev
30-10-2008, 08:13 AM
i would ask there no harm .hope it works out :)

Bushpig
30-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Never hurts to ask!!! I always ask my parents when they sign up how *flexible* their working days are, all my kids are full day part-timers.

One mother moved her entire client list to another day (I only have her child 1 day a week), so I could accommodate another child who needed 3 days. She is also a business women and realised my need for the day change... and thankfully she could make the change.

I have in turn shown her the most flexibility too, as she changes her hours every week on that day (btwn 5 and 9 hours per day).

Throughout this I told her she was not under any obligation, and that it would not affect the care of her own child in any way. I am always very open with my parents and they appreciate it. The worse that can happen is they say 'no, they are unable to change days'... and then you know your answer, but at least you tried! :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Hope it all works out for you. I would have asked and if mum cannot swap then you haven't lost anything but if she can you have gained the world

casey's mum
30-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I would defo ask too! My parents have always been great like that but then they know if and when I can I am willing to be flexible.
Got to be honest I dont see what the problem would be if mum has space just to have time off and not for work purposes! I love the whole needs a break clients! Sorry it does make me chuckle! Only cause I prob a little jealous! A break, whats that? lol.

Angela x