PDA

View Full Version : cupboard locks?

Hebs
29-10-2008, 03:12 PM
hiya

sorry wasn't sure where to ask this!

I have just spent the last 40 mins putting locks on the kitchen units (mothercare ones... so easy to do :thumbsup: ) but i was wondering..

do we need locks on the wall units??

Cos if a child is old enough to climb up onto the bench they'll be old enough to figure out how to open the locks..... if you know what i mean??

what should i do??

singlewiththree
29-10-2008, 03:16 PM
My preinspector lady told me I had to put them on the wall units as well as they could get a chair and climb up

Paula

Hebs
29-10-2008, 03:28 PM
daft isn't it

cos if they are articulate enough to carry a chair into the kicthen a little lock isn't going to stop them :laughing:

ah well i'll put them on anyway, that way they can't complain :thumbsup:

kindredspirits
29-10-2008, 03:33 PM
my top cupboards are quite high i'd say about 5ftish from the floor, they're not locked and my inspector was happy with that - and its where i keep all my chemicals.
my 20 month old son has already figured the cupboard locks out so i'm not going to panic about them, infact i was told that if its safe stuff in the low cupboards, plates and pans etc then they don't have to have locks on either. the only thing i was told i needed to lock was the tumble dryer because my old one you used to have to just shut the door and it would restart, and my chest freezer!

Hebs
29-10-2008, 03:40 PM
ooooooooooooooh never thought about one for the tumble dryer

i have one for the fridge freezer and my chest freezer, what one did you use for tumble dryer?? is it the same one that you used for chest freezer??

have ordered my first aid kit, just need my fire blanket :clapping:

Heaven Scent
29-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh I only have locks on the cupboards and doors with dangerous stuff in like sharp knives etc and cleaning chemicals everything elese is accessable. If a minded child could have time to get a chair and climb onto the work surface and access the cupboards then they minder should be struck off if you ask me. My mindees would rarely be alone on the kichen except when I answer the door at tea time and even then I try to discourage the parents from calling then - it causes far too much disruption to everyone. I don't have a lock on my dryer as it is in my utility room and they only ever pass through there on the way to the garden plus I had a fridge lock on my fridge when my DS was 20 mths old and he just pulled the door to the fridge so hard that he pulled the lock off the side and all I was left with was a horrible sticky mess on my nice new fridge in the nice new kitchen of my nice new house and I wasn't a happy bunny. So I replaced it with another one & DH did the same thing and it was the same story all over again and when DD was born 5 weeks later I jsut left DS to it and he raided the fruit and veg at will while I was feeding DD.

gemhei
29-10-2008, 07:39 PM
My ofsted inspector advised me because i only had plastic plates, beakers etc for childminding children in bottom cupboards i didnt need them. I have all my cleaning stuff pans etc in top cupboards so they cant reach. I asked if i needed them ontop then if thats where 'dangerous' stuff is, he said no its fine they cant reach up there. :)

Hebs
29-10-2008, 09:57 PM
If a minded child could have time to get a chair and climb onto the work surface and access the cupboards then they minder should be struck off if you ask me.

i have to say i agree :thumbsup:

will leave them off and see what is said

Lou
29-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I refuse to put cupboard locks on, this is my home and i dont need them for my children as they are older so i just put anything dangerous out of reach and have harmless stuff in bottom cupboards.

Its common sense tbh, none of my mindees would be in the kitchen unsupervised anyway!!!

OrlandoBelle
29-10-2008, 10:42 PM
My Pre-reg inspector asked where I kept the cleaning fluids, etc and I showed her they were in the cupboard under my sink which I had fitted with cupboard locks. I have one on the sharp knife/utensil drawer too, but not my other drawers and cupboards. She never asked about any of the others. TBH, I wouldn't let a child in my kitchen unsupervised!

PixiePetal
29-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't have them on the high cupboards, only access to the kitchen if I am there too. Got one on the sideboard cupboard in the sitting room where i mind as that's where I keep the booze !! :D

Heaven Scent
29-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeh I agree with that too - I wouldn't want them draining my booze supplies either :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Scarlett
30-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I have locks on my bottom cupboards regardless of what's in them just because of the mess! I tried leaving the plastics cupboard but I was always re stacking it!!! My top ciupboards are unlocked but Ofsted didn't question it. I agree with whoever said before that if the child has time to get a chair and climb unnoticed then they are not being properly cared for!