PDA

View Full Version : URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

OrlandoBelle
29-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone. I am looking for a bit of advice. I’m sorry it’s a bit long-winded but I hope someone can help me.

I had my pre-reg inspection on 30th September. I filled out all my CRB forms and the inspector took them away with her. I was under the impression that this was all I was waiting for before I would become registered. I took some advice from some ladies on the forum who told me to start advertising ASAP, which I did. I have done my first aid and have got liability insurance too as I have been looking after a 5 year old for half an hour after school on weekdays.

On 2nd October I received an email through from my website from a couple asking if I could look after their 2yr old around the middle of November for a week. Apparently the child’s Nan has him in the week usually as the parents both work, but the nan and grandad are going on holiday for a fortnight and need me to look after him for the 2nd week. I explained the situation I was in regarding my CRB forms, and not being registered, but they wanted to meet with me, so I arranged a time and they came over.

They decided they wanted me to look after the little boy, and were quite desperate for me to have him for this week in November and every Mon and Weds up until New Year. So we met up a few times (4 in total) so that he could get used to seeing me, etc.
Then on Monday I had him on my own as a settling in period. The Nan was supposed to bring him round at 10am, but didn’t turn up until 10:40am. He was happy and got on with the painting and activities I had set out for him and didn’t want to go home when she came to pick him up an hour later!
I then had him again at 10am today which was only supposed to be for an hour, but she didn’t come back until 12pm! I felt this wasn’t on as he usually has his nap at 11am, and it was unfair to keep him awake. In the end he was so tired I let him fall asleep. 2 mins later, she turned up to collect him. I did not charge for either of the two settling in periods.

I received my CRB forms back for myself and my H2B last Friday, so I called OFSTED on Monday to see if they had received their copy. They said they had received it and they can register me as soon as they have received a reference from my H2B’s Aunt, who is a foster carer. I got hold of her and she said she will send them off for me in the next few days.

I have since received a message from the little boys nan asking if I can have him again next Tuesday 4th Nov for an hour where his 16 year old step brother will drop him round (which I’m not happy about) and then again on Thurs 6th for an hour and a half. I said yes to these as both days are under 2 hours and I can therefore care for him without my registration certificate. However I don’t know if they are expecting me to do it again without payment.
As he has settled in fine and we have not had any problems, I feel I should now start charging them, even if it is just for an hour. But I’ve got a feeling they may say that as I’m not registered, they are not paying me.
I was going to write them a letter with a contract for them to sign, but not sure how to do it in case my certificate doesn’t come before 10th November when they need me to have him full time for the week.

What does everyone else think? Please help!:panic:

littlestar
29-10-2008, 01:09 PM
i think maybe you need to have a meeting do they think you are a babysiter without payment i would reccommend you sit parents down and exsplain if you are going to have him you will charge occasinal care which mine is £10 an hour i charge no less than £10 day or it just aint worth it if there is going to be contracted days then fine but you need to no when you will have him in advance it will disrupt your numbers if not has she dealt with a childminder before or is this new? if so you may not understand poor you let us no what happens big hugs

sarah707
29-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I think you need to make it clear to the parents that you are not an unpaid babysitter...

And I think you need to ring Ofsted and chase them... every day if necessary. It should be sorted by now.

Don't worry about a 16 year old bringing / collecting. So long as you have written permission for him to be collected, it's fine. My dd is 15 and I would be very confident for her to look after children as she's grown up with little ones in the house... in fact she babysits now and earns more an hour than me :rolleyes:

OrlandoBelle
29-10-2008, 08:19 PM
On the back of the NCMA contracts, it says a settling in period is between 2 and 4 weeks. So do you think I can start charging them now? I believe he is settled and therefore I feel the "settling in period" has been completed. Not sure they'll see it that way though:rolleyes:

Does anyone else charge for settling in periods?

I don't think they have used a childminder before. I think he used to go to nursery from what they have said. I just feel they are taking the pee a bit.

xx

Ripeberry
29-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Think they are being a bit cheeky to be frank and they think they can get you in trouble because you are not registered yet.
It's best to charge for settling in after the first 2 hours, who in their right mind would work for a whole week for nothing?
Hope your registration comes through quickly.

son77
29-10-2008, 08:53 PM
On the back of the NCMA contracts, it says a settling in period is between 2 and 4 weeks. So do you think I can start charging them now? I believe he is settled and therefore I feel the "settling in period" has been completed. Not sure they'll see it that way though:rolleyes:

Does anyone else charge for settling in periods?

I don't think they have used a childminder before. I think he used to go to nursery from what they have said. I just feel they are taking the pee a bit.

xx

This settling in period on the contract is actually so either you or parent can cancel contract for any reason within this time scale (that you set) and no notice period required, not for free settling in the child sessions!

Just ring them to confirm days & times (act thick!) then say, ok, that'll be at £xxx per hour.

son77
29-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Oh, and I only give 1 free 2 hour settling in session, or else you start getting taken advantage of.

beerheaven
29-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree - I think they are taking the :censored: !! I don't charge for the first one or two trial periods - no more than two hours a time. After that I charge my normal hourly rate during the settling in period - normally 4 weeks. The settling period on the contract is there just to be it easier for either party to terminate the contract.
Wishing you luck with this one!

OrlandoBelle
29-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Hmmm...I might just stick an invoice in the post with the contract for them to sign. Or ask them to come over to do it.

I am so timid when it comes to tings like this. I am useless at saying no and if somebody questions me I turn into a quivering wreck!

There is a course in December in Wellingborough I am going to enrol on: Assertiveness for childminders! Think I need it now though!

littlestar
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
i was the same all timid when asking for payment but then i got fed up with people taking the pi** all the time so now i set it staright in the first meeting you will only learn by your mistakes like me this is a learning thing and you will get better:clapping:

Mollymop
09-11-2008, 12:58 AM
This settling in period on the contract is actually so either you or parent can cancel contract for any reason within this time scale (that you set) and no notice period required, not for free settling in the child sessions!"

Yes, the "settling in period" NCMA means is the 4 weeks trial period once the contract starts, not the actual settling in sessions which most of us do for free before the contract starts.