PDA

View Full Version : URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!!!

casey's mum
28-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Omg someone please tell me I am over reacting!
Took on a 5 yo boy just for short term contract for yesterday and today. Yesterday and today he has gone from playing perfectly happily to demanding and telling me if I dont let him have what he wants that he gonna get angry with me and I gonna be in trouble! That fine I have dealt with that very calmly and suggesting he goes and sits in our reflection tent and calm down. Which after a couple of minutes has worked!
We have all just been sat drawing and colouring. Lo very calmly came to me all smiles and proud of his doodles and thats when it happened....
....when I asked what his drawing was he very calmly said " I am going to kill someone"! To say I was shocked was an understatement.
....it doesnt finish there.....he then looked at me and said "I am going to die today".
I have subtly said I didnt think these things were appropriate but he has just carried on calmly playing with the others!!!!
I dont know what to do?? Just finding it a little diff to get my head around a 5 yo saying these things in such a calm manner!

What do I do???

Angela

jellytot
28-10-2008, 12:28 PM
i really dont know what to say sorry, do you know any background of this child, any older siblings, could he of been watching console games or films.

im sure someone will be along soon to advise you.

you could write down all he is saying, word for word.

ChocolateChip
28-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Sorry, had to have a think and come back to this!
Was going to ask the same as Claire, about whether you know the family background, etc.
I'm no expert but if it is just for these 2 days I would just note it down and mention it to the parents, but if he's not likely to come back again I don't think there's much more you can do.
It could be he's just watched an inappropriate film or video game and picked it up from there.
Hope someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

ChocolateChip
28-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Sorry Claire, have just realised I more or less duplicated your reply!

sarah707
28-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Does he have older siblings?

Has he been watching or playing games featuring violence death?

Some children have a problem separating reality from fiction.

He could also be trying to shock you if he's had a reaction from saying those things before.

You're doing the right things dealing with it calmly and moving on...

casey's mum
28-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Mum and Dad seem fine, really nice. He didn't know what the PS2 was of my daughters and as far as I have been told he goes to bed fairly early.
He has a baby brother who is 18mths!
I agree there not a lot I can do being last day and all...but that not right coming from a 5 yo. The thing that concerns me the most was the lack of emotion when he said it. It was like he was just asking for some juice or something!

Angela x

Hebs
28-10-2008, 12:41 PM
my son went through a phase of being obsessed with death, asking where you go when you die, etc etc and i was told that it is perfectly normal.

i would mention it to his mum but wouldn't stress too much xx

roseybev
28-10-2008, 05:55 PM
have you checked his head for 666 that might be a good start :laughing:

LisaH
28-10-2008, 06:28 PM
have you checked his head for 666 that might be a good start :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
28-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Did you speak to mum and dad about what he said?

I agree he could just be trying to get a reaction from you but the idea must have come from somewhere - something he's seen or heard?

Miffy xx

Monkey1
28-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Just seen this! OMG! I hope you got this sorted!

LittleStars
28-10-2008, 06:54 PM
My 6 year old is obsessed with death and dying etc and thats about ALL he talks about at the moment.

He asked me the other day when I was going to die and I was all soft and concerned and said not hopefully for a long time sweetheart and he said " ohh but I want your computer and if you die I will get it"

I was mortally offended :eek:

But thats boys....

He doesn't play violent games or watch inappropriate tv...we aren't wierdos obsessed with death and hubby isn't an axe murderer honestly ;)

He was most likely looking for a reaction from you.

Jen x

Bushpig
28-10-2008, 07:04 PM
My 6 year old is obsessed with death and dying etc and thats about ALL he talks about at the moment.

He asked me the other day when I was going to die and I was all soft and concerned and said not hopefully for a long time sweetheart and he said " ohh but I want your computer and if you die I will get it"

I was mortally offended :eek:

But thats boys....

He doesn't play violent games or watch inappropriate tv...we aren't wierdos obsessed with death and hubby isn't an axe murderer honestly ;)

He was most likely looking for a reaction from you.

Jen x

haha Jen, that made me laugh (compy comment), sorry ;)

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head here! It's just a phase.. and best to not react to it/as this will urge him on even more as he sees he is getting the reaction he was after.

Jen x

casey's mum
29-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies ladies. My concerns were hightened I suppose because of his temper too. If he didn't get his own way he would clench his fists and physically shake with anger, his behaviour at times was very threatening. In one fit of temper he threw a block which narrowly missed another mindees head!
At one point I asked him very nicely to put something away, which he did, but as soon as I turned away he got it back out again. I said to him come on lets put it away together again and as I was helping him he started his temper shaking and actually punched me!!!!!!! I was astounded!!!
Spoke to mum and dad who kinda laughed it all off!! :angry: The only thing he did mention he watched was his Chinese dvd at home but didn't elaborate on that and neither did mum and dad.
Needless to say I was soooo unhappy by the end of the day! I feel that I will not ever be able to offer a place to them again!

Angela x

Hebs
29-10-2008, 09:00 AM
chinese dvd?? wonder if they ment jackie chan??

:panic: seems like they don't know what he's watching

OrlandoBelle
29-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Or a Manga film...they are cartoons but can be quite violent I think.

I think you should write all of this down, just incase in the future if something happens (god forbid), you may be asked to supply evidence!

Is his name Damien by any chance?? LOL

casey's mum
30-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Have documented it all in great detail as like has been said may be needed in future, god forbid!
Name not Damian but would suit! lol

Angela x