PDA

View Full Version : Calpol???

hbomb1
28-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Morning all,

During my recent first aid course, we were advised that we are not allowed to administer any medication to children without there being a doctors label on the bottle detailing the child's name, dose, etc. This even included Calpol.

Yesterday my mindee (12 months) was poorly - he had had his innoculations last week and he seems to be suffering with temp, runny nose etc. Parents had given him calpol in the morning and then by around 3pm he was struggling with mild temp, runny nose, generally unwell. This morning, dad has brought mindee and told me he has had calpol this morning, he has put calpol in his bag and has asked me to telephone him if mindee needs calpol and he will pop round to administer.

Do I need to complete anything for my records to say that dad has been round??

singlewiththree
28-10-2008, 08:40 AM
I had my first aid on Sat and they agreed with ofsted that we can now administer calpol with parents permission so if you get the parent to sign a general one and then again on the day that they need it you will be fine. My friends daughter has convulsions without that first line of treatment and it could take half an hour for her mum to get here so better to administer it first.

Paula

Pipsqueak
28-10-2008, 08:42 AM
EYFS was changed so that we could adminster non-prescribed meds.

You would still need to inform the parents - ie a quick text and you will still need to write it up in your meds book and get the parents to sign . It is a good idea for the parents to give you written permission to adminster "oral paracetamol suspension" (this eliminates the need to stick to a specific brand) and detailing the time of the last dose - again write this up in your meds book (the last dose administered by the parents - ie that morning) and get them to sign.

Just as a note of interest Calpol (and similar) are one of the most abused over the counter medications for children. This is probably why your first aid man has said what he did

hbomb1
28-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks Paula and Pipsqueak.

Many of the people on the course queried calpol, calgel, eye drops, etc etc and he still maintained that we could not administer them without drs label. He did actually advise all of us to not administer any medication whatsoever and to make it our policy as these days we are more likely to be sued over the slightest of things.

Feel a bit daft now as told parents I cannot administer calpol. Think I will extract EYFS guidance on calpol and give to parents and provide them with an authority for me to administer calpol.

Hebs
28-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm also doing first aid course at the moment, however we were told that we can give "calpol or similar" as long as we had written permission from the parents, i.e a text confirming permission and a written policy already signed and documented the dose given and exact time and parental signature upon collection of the child, that way IF the parents then give another dose too soon they can't blame you for not informing them as to when you gave meds!!

acorns
28-10-2008, 11:45 AM
In my policy I have stated that I will only administer prescribed medications including infant paracetomol. This has been fine with parents as they just got some from their GP. They tell me each morning if he needs it & I've got them also to sign a general permission form in case he falls ill whilst here. I use the ncma administering medication form for any time that it's given

sarah707
28-10-2008, 12:40 PM
In my policy I have stated that I will only administer prescribed medications including infant paracetomol. This has been fine with parents as they just got some from their GP. They tell me each morning if he needs it & I've got them also to sign a general permission form in case he falls ill whilst here. I use the ncma administering medication form for any time that it's given

This is absolutely fine if it's the way you want to run your business.

Whatever works for you and the parents is good.

It is not necessary to restrict infant paracetamol to only prescribed by a doctor if you are working within the law of the Eyfs... but as I say, if this is what you want to do then it is your policy and we all work differently :D

hbomb1
28-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I have decided to continue to administer infant paracetomol and have advised my parents of the same. They had previously consented to me administerig this as and when necessary anyway.

Silly first aid man telling us we cannot administer ANY medicines without drs label :mad:

loocyloo
28-10-2008, 01:58 PM
i get parents to sign in the morning if they think child might need calpol or whatever, then i ring them if needed! each parent gave me a personal bottle/packet of sachets for each child, with each one named and signed by the parents!!!

x

Pudding Girl
28-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't administer anything either without it being prescribed.

Alibali
28-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a lo who has seizures if he gets too hot, so there's no way I'd wait for parents to arrive. As long as parents consent all should be fine.

roseybev
28-10-2008, 09:55 PM
i would ask parents to write a letter to cover yourself .if you need to give it to a child i would phone them first and ask if it was ok to give and when they come in get them to sign that it was given and how much and what time.