PDA

View Full Version : Filling Vacancies

Jemima77
27-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi
I have been childminding now for 2 months. (I have my own son who is 2) I started immediately with a little girl of 18 months her hours are mon 9-3 tues 9-5 and weds 9-3. so it works out approx £300 per month. i have had a few enquiries since but they were people mostly wanting me to look after 2 of their LO's under 5!! and I found i couldnt take it on as my numbers would have been over. I have though had an enquiry from a mum wanting me to look after her LO who is at school (nearly 4) so the hours would be 1.30-6 (2 or 3 times a week). The hours are ok but obv not full days and I would be loosing out on either accepting a full time or loosing out on hours from someone wanting full days!!! sorry this is really confusing.
My partner is just about to start up his own business so we are worried that until that gets going we wont really have enough money coming in.
HELP!!! Would you agree to taking on the enquiry and if so set a higher rate for it being under 5 hours or should I hold out for another enquiry that may be more beneficial......I didnt realise childminding would be like this and am tempted to just go back to a 9-5 job for the security....
Thanks and sorry to go on xxxx

sarah707
27-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I never charge a parent extra because they only want part time...

But then I have always done part time care and I just work on filling in the gaps.

It can be a risky business, but I would say some work is better than none at all. :D

Gherkin
27-10-2008, 09:04 PM
At the end of the day you have to decide for yourself. However I have been reading a lot lately about there being less and less enquiries for full time positions with childminders. Many parents are now working part-time to lower the cost of childcare and because many want to spend more time with their children.

Personally I take what I can get and worry about it later iyswim.

mum22
27-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi

I personally would not charge more for less hours (obviously you can set a min amount of hours per day), but i have had trouble filling vacancies before and i just think with the current financial climate, I would take all the business that comes my way that i can fit in - a bird in the hand and all that... thats just my opinion though.:)

miffy
27-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I think it depends on whether you think you are likely to get a full time enquiry in the near future. You seem to have had a few enquiries already considering you've only been minding a couple of months.

I've also read recently that fewer mums are returning to full time work. That is the trouble with this job - there are no guarantees.

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx