PDA

View Full Version : Inclusion?

Minnie mouse
26-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi, im due an inspection and read somewhere that an ofsted asked alot of questions on inclusion on the inspection. Can anyone explain to me please? Sorry to ask such a silly question. Thanks :blush:

Pipsqueak
26-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Inclusion - making sure everyone regardless of age, ability, gender, race, background, culture etc is included.

For example - you would have a baby on your lap helping them finger paint - they are included in the activity

Parents who do not have very good English - you may look at getting your documentation drawn up in their language so they are fully involved/included and perhaps learning a few phrases.

http://www.*************/MainWebSite/ContentPage9df2c089.aspx?Map=DCDD2BF3A482D2E75067D 97E86EAA9C2

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/resources/downloads/p0001834.pdf

hope that helps

breezy
26-10-2008, 07:20 PM
what more can i say?!

sarah707
26-10-2008, 07:29 PM
what more can i say?!

Yes that's what I thought too :laughing:

Minnie mouse
26-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks very much pip. I was worried about children with disabillities and how i would adapt my setting for them. I just read that you dont have to build a ramp but explain how you would rearrange furniture etc (a tricky question when i havent actually had to do anything like that yet) :)

sarah707
26-10-2008, 07:37 PM
If you put 'access audit childminder' into Google you get this page -

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=access+audit+childminder&meta=

The first document on this page is an excellent access audit which I hope will inspire and help :D

Pipsqueak
26-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks very much pip. I was worried about children with disabillities and how i would adapt my setting for them. I just read that you dont have to build a ramp but explain how you would rearrange furniture etc (a tricky question when i havent actually had to do anything like that yet) :)

Ok thats the general perception of children with a disability - that they would be in a wheelchair but

you would discuss the needs of the child with the experts - the parents just as you would any other child in your care

you would seek support/training and help initially from the parents and other relevant care professionals in that childs life - the rule of thumb is that if the parent has needed professional training to care for the childs particular need then you will too

you will make reasonable adjustments - just as you would for any child as their needs change

think about what you already do - I bet you have push along/ride on cars for younger children progressing onto trikes and then onto bikes

you have simple books to start of for young children - soft material picture books, progressing onto harder board books with simple words and so on

you have a step stool for younger children to reach the sink/loo
you have a potty ... toilet seat ......

you write a daily diary and invite feedback/comments from parents and children - you do this to ensure the parents are involved in their childs day

when people come to the door you greet them with a warm welcoming manner... making them feel, well welcome and valued

when you stop and break it down you already do tons of things to ensure that the children and visitors to your home are "included"

Minnie mouse
26-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks so much your a star.would you like to do my inspection for me lol :laughing: Ive worked so hard and il be so upset if i dont get a good as i was graded good on my last inspection and i would like to think (well i know) i have improved lots. :)

Pipsqueak
26-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks so much your a star.would you like to do my inspection for me lol :laughing: Ive worked so hard and il be so upset if i dont get a good as i was graded good on my last inspection and i would like to think (well i know) i have improved lots. :)

Bet you will do just fine.

Point out the areas you feel you have improved on, tell them what you are doing to improve any other areas that you feel need tweaking. Sing your own praises, blow your own trumpet

Keep us posted

Pipsqueak
26-10-2008, 08:35 PM
ooh and a biggie I forgot -

you observe the child and follow their interests
you include the children in planning: meals, outings and visits, toys out for next week
you talk to children - even young babies
you involve children in decision making

Minnie mouse
27-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks very much i shall keep you posted x