PDA

View Full Version : Diwali on Tuesday....

donnagwynne
26-10-2008, 08:58 AM
.....what does everyone have planned??

I have ideas to make divas, rangoli patterns and mendhi decorated hands but I was thinking of making some indian sweets. Does anyone have a pretty fool proof recipe?

And any other ideas to share would be great.

Thanks,

Donna

hello kitty
26-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I was going to make some biscuits and cut around each child's hand for the shape and then once cooked and cooled decorate with icing pens.

We will be making rangoli designs in chalk on the patio and using hama beads too. :)

Oh, and making some cards and pictures.

Tatia
26-10-2008, 10:18 AM
At drop-in group, we made clay lanterns for tealights (took 2 weeks as clay had to dry) and then we painted them following week. We also did rangoli patterns with coloured salt and glue on black paper. Kids loved it. My friend Jacky used food colouring in plain ol' table salt and then the kids used glue spreaders to make patterns on the paper (runny glue is far better for this than glue sticks). Then they sprinkled the coloured salts over the glue, gave the paper a shake to create their patterns. They looked really great.

I love the hand-shaped biscuits and icing pens for mendhi.:thumbsup:

Extend the activity by getting out coloured silk scarves, saris and bangles for dressing up whilst playing Indian music. You could even glue bindis on foreheads (risk assess for glue allergies:rolleyes: ).:D

ruby
26-10-2008, 10:22 AM
i have this one haven't done it yet

Coconut Burfi

4 cups desiccated coconut( fine or medium shred)
1 can or 14oz sweetened condensed milk
butter
pinch of cardamom powder (optional)
shallow rectangular dish or tray

grease the tin with a thin layer of butter

put the coconut in a saucepan on low heat stir continuously

after a minute or two you will notice that a sweet coconut small is released
now add the condensed milk to the saucepan stir well add a pinch of cardamom powder if using.

heat for a futher 2-3 minutes. the mixture will become sticky and should start binding together in clumps.
when ready remove the pan from the stove.
spoon the cocnut mixture into the greased dish.
firmly press the mixture down with the back of a spoon.

refigerate for 1 hour then cut into square or triangles

when cool you can roll into balls and then in coconut if you wish

enjoy

cathy

Tatia
26-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Sounds yummy! I love coconut so will definitely give this a try.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I love the recipie. I am doing Diwalli fudge which was in a thread on here. Not sure where my copy is but search Diwalli and I am sure it will come up

Attached is a sheet that I keep year on year explaining Diwalli and giving ideas for just about everything

I have also purchased some votive holders (.29p at Ikea) which we are decorating with glass paint and putting a tea light in.

Dragonfly
26-10-2008, 10:53 AM
[we have made clay dija pots for holding tea lights which they have painted.making garlands and coconut sweets also. might make a curry to!

Pudding Girl
26-10-2008, 11:19 AM
We are dressing up, putting a bindi on, doing "mendhi" on paper hands, making indian sweets ( i put up a recipe somwhrere on here..) eating poppadums and mango chutney at snack time, listening to some indian music and dancing to it, rangoli patterns on the steps in chalk.

donnagwynne
26-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow,

Every one is so organised. I suppose that it was long term planning is for. I haven't got the hang of that yet.

I have been saving small baby food jars (good recycling) to paint with glass paints as votive holders. They can either be for Diwali or for H'alloween. I thought that it was good to let the children have a choice. We also have some clay that they could make Diyas with.

I love the biscuit hand idea, I will definately be doing that one.

I looked at the recipes on here, and some of them are really expensive to do, and I could not get any semolina in my local Tesco Extra, so much for being multicultural.

Donna

Nicki L
26-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I am making the Diwali banana fudge that was on a thread on here a few weeks ago. Looking forward to that!!

childmind04
26-10-2008, 03:31 PM
We are popping into town to visit the westend where the shops will be decorated, mum of one of my mindees is making us some curry and chapatis for lunch, and we have rangoli patterns for the step and making some sweets in the afternoon :)

I have a full sari which the mum brought me back from india last month and its fab, i also have done some mendhi on some hands outlines using paintshop on the pc, also have a powerpoint of the story :)

Susan

angeldelight
26-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I love the recipie. I am doing Diwalli fudge which was in a thread on here. Not sure where my copy is but search Diwalli and I am sure it will come up

Attached is a sheet that I keep year on year explaining Diwalli and giving ideas for just about everything

I have also purchased some votive holders (.29p at Ikea) which we are decorating with glass paint and putting a tea light in.

Thanks for that Debbie

Thanks to everyone for their great ideas

Angel xx

Monkey1
26-10-2008, 05:01 PM
http://www.sandalwoodproductions.com/peacetree/classroom.html

http://www.crayola.com/coloringcraft/craft/printer.cfm?id=661

miffy
26-10-2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.sandalwoodproductions.com/peacetree/classroom.html

http://www.crayola.com/coloringcraft/craft/printer.cfm?id=661

Thanks for those Monkey

Miffy xx

cher25
27-10-2008, 12:47 AM
We are popping into town to visit the westend where the shops will be decorated, mum of one of my mindees is making us some curry and chapatis for lunch, and we have rangoli patterns for the step and making some sweets in the afternoon :)

I have a full sari which the mum brought me back from india last month and its fab, i also have done some mendhi on some hands outlines using paintshop on the pc, also have a powerpoint of the story :)

Susan

I only remembered about diwali today after looking on here. I quickly printed some colouring pages out and then like Susan thought about going to the westend to see what they have. Thinking of buying some sweets for the children to try, as im no good and wont have time to cook. But i also thought about sending home some goodie bags with whatever is left over. That way parents can also try the food their children have had. Going to pop to the library tomorrow to see what books i can get aswell. Talk about last minute planning. lol