PDA

View Full Version : confused about tax credits????

kindredspirits
25-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I am a bit confused about tax credits - i will ring them monday but wondered if you ladies could help in the meantime?

basically we are currently entitled to child tax credits, and also working tax credits based on DH's self employed earnings. DH is stopping work as hes got 1 client left so is making no profit.
I am coming off incapacity benefit next week as i will be working more than 15 hours which is what they permitted me to see if i could cope with work.

When I go on the tax credits calculator they are still basing our award on LAST YEARS income (my taxable benefit and DH's miniscule income) but surely it needs to be based on my income, which is considerably less than last years income????????

Chatterbox Childcare
25-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I think if you speak to them you will discover that as self employed persons you can change it in the current year

Hope this is the case for you

sarah707
26-10-2008, 07:16 AM
They will recalculate if you ring them like Debbie says.

Good luck! :D

Hebs
26-10-2008, 08:11 AM
if the annual income has dropped dramaticaaly then yes they will calculate it on tis years income xx

childmind04
26-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Yes they will amend it, they are open all weekend and it might be quieter to ring them today :)

Susan

mummyroysof3
26-10-2008, 09:38 AM
they will base it on a estimate if there is going to be a big difference, ive had to do it when on lower earnings the 2 years ive had maternity leave in and will need to again

charlotte x

Ebs71
26-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Im afraid they didnt do it for us :mad: . my partner is self employed and only had few hours work a week, i was only earning 9k and we only got £10 a week from tax credits,not a penny from working tax or job seekers, we had to survive on £30 maintaince (from ex partner) and family allowance until i got a full time job doing 40 hours a week until mindees come in. My mother in law paid over £700 in bills for us recently, and we took a 3 month mortgage holiday and we are still struggling to catch back up with ourselves
:(

Forgot to mention we had joint income of 39k before the drop to 9k..... it almost killed us and we are on the brink of splitting up as a result of the stress and arguements from it all :(

Hope you can get help :)

Hayley xx

Nicki L
26-10-2008, 04:00 PM
as far as i know they will base it on this years, but you will need to ring them. Weekends is usually quieter - good luck!