PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Menus

FizzysFriends
25-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Do you think its ok to have 4 weekly menus and rotate them or would 6 or 8 weeks be better?

I don't really want to do ad hoc menus as shopping time is tight and its easier if I know what I need to get when (cos sometimes my mom does shopping for me when im at work).

tulip0803
25-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a 4 weekly rota. The local school has just changed to a 3 week rota.

FizzysFriends
25-10-2008, 08:01 PM
4 weeks it is then. Do you have a different thing for every day? For evening meal it wont be a problem but for breakfast and snacks it might be.

sarah707
25-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I have a 3 weekly rota...

Mostly because my lot are extremely hard to please and often there are 7 or 8 picky eaters round the table :rolleyes:

Chatterbox Childcare
25-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Who is the rota for - you or Ofsted?

I have a sample menu for Ofsted and then I work out my meals as I go weekly.

We tend to have: pasta Monday, roast Tuesday, Something and chips Wednesday (football practice so easy), Veg, potato plus own choose of meat Thursday and Friday children's choice. This is then rotated between days

i.e. Pasta could be Spag Bowl, Lasgne, Tuna Salad etc...

FizzysFriends
25-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Well at the moment the menus are based on what my daughter likes to eat so might have to be changed if I get a fussy eater (although I only cook 1 thing for everyone). My daughter doesn't like 'junk' food.

tulip0803
25-10-2008, 08:48 PM
4 weeks it is then. Do you have a different thing for every day? For evening meal it wont be a problem but for breakfast and snacks it might be.

Variations on themes like Debbie. I do pastas, shepherds pie, home made pizza, home made burgers, stew, roasts, home-made soup, home made quiche, mild curry, baked potatoes stuff like that. Will change depending on tastes and if I care for a vegeterian (I try to plan things that can easliy be either using quorn in another pan or omitting meat type things)

snacks tend to be fruit and something along the lines of pittas, toast, croissants, bagels, yoghurt, scones etc

Twinkles
25-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm writing a four week menu at the moment. Just so it's easier and I don't have to think about it. I've got a few picky eaters too......don't fussy eaters drive you crazy? It's the one thing I get annoyed about. So I decided to do a rota based on food I know they all like. ( apart from one newbie who hates everything :rolleyes: )

Chatterbox Childcare
25-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I had new children start who said I don't like this and I don't like that and I just asked them to try it. When they say they don't like something I say okay put it to one side - 10 mins later everything has gone - inlcuding that carrot they didn't like!

I find it doesn't pay to give too much choice or I spend a lot of time cooking and no time looking after the children

Worth a go

PS - mine play me up all the time still!!

Twinkles
25-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Trust me I've tried all my tactics , even sat down with him and written a list of his favourite foods which I've then cooked for him to poke about his plate and say he doesn't like it :angry: The only time he cleared his plate was when I served up fish fingers and chips and I have to say thats a rareity in this house.