PDA

View Full Version : Siblings..what to charge

mandy moo
25-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Rght here we go.. For the 2 mindees I already have, I charge £4 per hour.
Ive had a parent today who would like me to look after her two sons 1 at
7mths the other 3yrs 6mths.

It would be 3 days one week
2 days the following
3 days the next week, and so on..

The baby I would have from 8.30 - 5.30/6pm,
The eldest is at nursery till 12am on each all these days, so he would be with me 12-5.30/6pm
She says shes never heard of anyone paying by the hour and said she would pay me £70 per day, does this sound ok? for some reason, I never thought about having siblings and dont have any idea wot to charge :blush:

Help needed please:)

Hebs
25-10-2008, 01:28 PM
:huh:

Don't think i'd look after any child where a parent would tell ME how much i'd be paid for looking after their kids!!

You don't work for her!

and £70 a day works out around £2 per hour per child

Also, what would happen if the 2 children you look after now find out they are paying TWICE the ammount as the other parent???

based on your current £4 an hour she should be paying you £136 a day :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
25-10-2008, 01:32 PM
£70 per day is more than £4 ph isn't it?

9 hours for youngest
5.5 hours for eldest (both based on collecting at 5.30)

14.5 x £4 = £58

Hebs
25-10-2008, 01:36 PM
ignore me i'm full of cold :laughing:

still don't think i'd mind for her tho, :(

madasahatter
25-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Have you met her and do you like/get on with her?
You need to decide whether you are going to charge a full day rate for the one at nursery (will you be caring for him in the holidays or teacher training days?). If so that would be a total of 19 hours per day (2 x 9.5 hours) which would be £76 at £4per hour.
If you are only going to charge for a shorter day for the older child I would work on 15.5 hours (8.30-6.00 and 12.00-6.00) at a total of £62.50 per day. She may be impressed that you don't want to rip her off by charging her more than you do for other children.
Also at 3 days one week and 2 the next it may cause you problems in filling up any of the spare spaces. In this situation many childcare settings (childminders included) would charge for 3 days per week.
Think carefully about how it will affect your working days and do what works best for you!!

Twinkles
25-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Personally I would charge when the older one is at nursery. I would also charge for three days a week. Like someone said she doesn't get to tell you , you get to tell her.

buildingblocks
30-10-2008, 02:30 PM
It would be 3 days one week
2 days the following
3 days the next week, and so on..

How are you planning on charging for this full pay for when attending and then a retainer for hte days not used each week or just the hours worked
The baby I would have from 8.30 - 5.30/6pm,
The eldest is at nursery till 12am on each all these days, so he would be with me 12-5.30/6pm
will you be responsible for taking hte child to nursery if so I charge for hte time they are in preschool nursery if I am to be responsible in an emergency

She says shes never heard of anyone paying by the hour I charge by the hourand said she would pay me £70 per day,err no she doesn't tell you what she will pay you YOUR BUSINESS YOU MAKE THE RULES does this sound ok? for some reason, I never thought about having siblings and dont have any idea wot to charge :blush:
I do not operate a sibling discount they are taking up a place just as if they were from a different family using the same resources and food not half of them

Help needed please:) [/SIZE]

You probably got lots of good advice on this and hope you got it sorted out

mandy moo
31-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi sorry not to have replied earlier,its been a busy week or so, wot with half term and mum in law ill again.:(
I met the Mum in question saturday teatime as it was the only time I had free, & she seem nice enough she brought the eldest with her and hubbie and baby who I didnt meet, as baby fell asleep in the car & dad stayed out in the car with him.
Mum has a taken home a copy of my welcome pack wich lays out all my Fees, T&C's, Policies etc, :)
We will have to discuss payment again as, I know this sounds daft prehaps, But I just want to be paid for the hours I do, I dont want to feel beholden to them in any way ie; if they ask me to do extra hours etc, just because they pay me a 'daily rate'/ extra.:(
thanx for all your replies will take them all on board and has given me food for thought
Mandy

Lottie
31-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Your business your rules. If this was me it wouldn't be up for negotiation. If you are charging £4 an hour then that's what she pays, you are not a charity.

If I was in your position I would be a little wary about this parent if she is already being this way, could potentially be problems in the future. From a couple of bad experiences sometimes the money is just not worth the hassle.

By the way I charge the same rate for siblings as I do any other child. I am not a nursery where I can afford to give discounts. Plus remember you are self employed. Some of that £4 an hour you get paid you then have to pay towards N.I contributions, tax etc etc. I think some parents forget this and think we are all earning a fortune!

Rubybubbles
31-10-2008, 09:10 AM
I would charge my normal rate (no sibling discount) for the hours she needs you.

I would also charge a retainer for the week of 2 days to cover the 3rd day, as unless you are very lucky, you would find it very hard to fill. I wouldn't charge for the one at nursery until I colloected because I am soft lol!! BUt you will need to cover yourself on how that will work for the holidays.

I agree about only charging for hourly rather than daily, I too would rather be able to say, nope can;t have them today than feel because of a day rate I have to say yes

Hope it works out for you

mandy moo
06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
thanks every one for all your advice,Im not too good at 'confrontaions' tho:(
she has taken a welcome pack home which is pretty comprehensive with all T&Cs etc inside so we'll have to wait and see if I get my variation then take it from there:(
so I guess I'll have to take the bull by the horn and be brave about it all and I guess if I get my variation I'll only have 2 places to fill,
I'm lucky in the fact that my money is mostly my own as hubbie pays most of the bills, I pay for the food & I do more than my fair share, wot with house work, washing, running our own 2 kids about etc
Thanks for listening
Mandy