PDA

View Full Version : vegetable patch?

sparky
25-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I forgot to ask.... If you ave a veg patch in the garden, how do you block it off - if at all?? I was thinking of getting one of those rolls of log border but dont know if I would need to bother or if it wouldnt be high enough to block the kids off?!

Any ideas ?

Twinkles
25-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I think I'd be more inclined to just tell the chuldren they shouldn't trample over it. After all they don't walk over the flower beds and those too young to understand will be supervised anyway.
I suppose if you're worried about stray footballs then you may need to use netting of some sort.
Lucky them ( and you ) to have homegrown veg.

Hebs
25-10-2008, 09:58 AM
we are going to have a little section at the bottom of my garden to (try to!!) grow things, mine is going to be 3 bricks high but no other safety netting.

:clapping:

madasahatter
25-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I have a raised bed 4m x 1m which is 4 bricks high. In general most things survive the odd football etc. We grow lots of other things in tubs which are placed along a low 2ft high wall (between the patio and grass) which stops them climbing on the wall for a good chunk of the year (so much so that when the tubs aren't there they don't even think of climbing on it). I think it's important to encourage children to grow things as it is a truly cross-curricular activity. Not only do they learn where foods come from, they are also more likely to try things they have grown themselves, they learn to care for things and show respect

sparky
26-10-2008, 09:26 AM

We grow veg as a family, and I will be getting mindee's involved too. I dont know why but part of me thought that the inspector may want it blocked off slightly... but even my 18 month dd doesnt wander off the grass onto the patch so I'm sure it will be fine ... we may just go it as a decorative thing instead! :)

Tatia
26-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a 1 1/2ft to 2ft high fence/border to protect my veggie patch from the dog as much as the children.:) It's also to discourage them from playing near the planting/garden shed (mine) or the 'tool' shed (in other words, hubby's pile of junk shed:rolleyes: ). OFSTED was fine with a low fence as I explained kids could potentially climb over it but are never left unsupervised for it to happen. As mentioned above, keeps stray footballs from landing amongst my plants (which are more like babies to me).

All of which reminds me, I need to go dig up some leeks for dinner!:clapping: