PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about EYFS today because I need some ideas/help

crazybones
25-10-2008, 09:12 AM
My mindee 2 next month likes to do craft and sticking and gluing but loves to rip it apart again as soon as he gets the chance. We made milk bottle shakers yesterday at drop in and when he got back here he ripped all the tissue paper off and stuffed it into his pocket. He did the same last week with the Elmer elephants we did. His Dad says he loves to empty the wipes at home and stuff them between the cushions of the sofa. Any ideas why he does this? We all praise his work and I tell him Mum/Dad will be so pleased with it and they still display the ripped up stuff at home or so they tell me. He just seems to enjoy it. I wondered if there is anything I can do with him because he obviously likes to destroy his stuff or should I just leave him to get on with it?

Pauline
25-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Perhaps he doesn't see it as destroying it and just sees it as an extension of the activity?

He goes to all the trouble of sticking it on etc. but then he enjoys taking it off too, perhaps he likes the sound it makes as it tears or the feel of the paper?

At two years old he perhaps doesn't see the finished item as anything (like an adult might) maybe the Elmer was just an array of colours and paper and he enjoyed the continuation of play by ripping it up?

Pauline
25-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Sorry didn't answer your question at the end.

Yes I would leave him to get on with it. How about taking a photo as soon as you can of the finished item, before it is ripped up. Then take a picture of the item when he has ripped it.

You could use that in observations explain what he does and show the before and after results.

You could even provide him with boxes to stuff the bits into, it shows his developing co-ordination to be able to put pieces into a box or behind cushions.(PD)

His PSE to have the choice on what to do with his things.

KUW taking things apart and seeing what happens.

CD is obviously covered in the first place

PSRN again to problem solve getting the pieces into the box

:)

crazybones
25-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes I think you are right Pauline over the colours. He loves messy play but more so if its something with colours like multicoloured noodles or coloured Gloop. I think I will just leave him to get on with it and not make specific things just let him stick anything together and pull it apart. He is obviously happy and enjoying it.

crazybones
25-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Just read your second post. Thanks. :thumbsup:

madasahatter
25-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Pauline is right, it is a learning phase that he is going through. It is only us as adults that view children's work as 'finished', children have very different ideas that can sometimes be very hard to understand. In a similar way you often find children do a very colourful painting and then finish by covering it with a layer of black so everything is obscured. From my recent studies it would suggest he is currently following an enveloping/enclosure schema where many of his actions will involve covering things up and uncovering them again. It may help if you are able to do a series of observations to see if you can make similar links in other aspects of his play.
Paulines suggestions for extension activities are very good and I would definitely take some photos of him during activities as he makes and 'destroys' his work.

Angela234
25-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I have a 2 year old when ever we do glueing he sticks items onto paper then takes them all off then he's finished.

Perhaps when we make christmas things i will try and get him to make 2 so he can take one apart and hopefully take one home.

Angela

PixiePetal
25-10-2008, 12:34 PM
My mum always told me that I painted lovely pictures then covered them in black paint because it was night time!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Monkey1
25-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Multicoloured noodles? Do you do that in the same way as rainbow rice but with more water! Sorry having a blonde day today!:D

Chatterbox Childcare
25-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I have just picked this up and wondered if you looked at this as an activity and where it fits into the "Schema's" - that should give you an idea of where he is and how to take it forward

Don't get distressed - there will be a reason for it

crazybones
25-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Multicoloured noodles? Do you do that in the same way as rainbow rice but with more water! Sorry having a blonde day today!:D

Yes. I left them as bowls of seperate colours and when they were ready they threw them into the cat lit tray and mixed them all up.

Thanks everyone

Pauline
25-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Yes. I left them as bowls of seperate colours and when they were ready they threw them into the cat lit tray and mixed them all up.

Thanks everyone

Didn't the cat mind? :laughing:

Denise r
26-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone

Hi

Please can someone tell me how you make rainbow rice and multicoloured noodels?

They sound really interesting

Thanks

Denise

crazybones
26-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Rainbow rice
http://www.exo.net/~drsteph/activities/rainbow_rice.pdf

Do the same with noodles/pasta except use a little more water

ChocolateChip
27-10-2008, 02:43 PM
That's a good idea, someone had told me how to shake it with coloured chalk but this way seems more colourful, thanks!

kindredspirits
27-10-2008, 03:17 PM
my 20 month old son also likes to tear things apart, his favourite activity at the minute is throwing pens on the floor for me to pick up - then does a very strange laugh that sounds like a dirty old man!!!! :rolleyes:

sambo
27-10-2008, 03:47 PM

multicoloured noodles? Rainbow rice?? What is all this please share!!! :laughing:

sambo
27-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Rainbow rice
http://www.exo.net/~drsteph/activities/rainbow_rice.pdf

Do the same with noodles/pasta except use a little more water
I've just looked at this but want to know, what do you do with it when it's done and why? Sorry for the silly question!!!:blush: