PDA

View Full Version : Empathy Dolls

ma7ie
18-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi

Does anybody here use empathy dolls with their minded children.

I'm really interested in using them and was wondering if it was worth it and what the theory is behind them.

Thanks.:)

Marie x

chubbymummy
18-01-2008, 02:23 PM
i don't use them but like you i would be interested in using them so look forward to the replies

sarah707
18-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I use a lot of puppets and role play... and we have emotions spoons, masks, pictures, photos etc... but I've not invested in any empathy dolls yet... I'll be interestd in the answers to this one as well. :D

ruby
18-01-2008, 02:56 PM
no have never used one but like the rest would be interested in knowing the answer

cathy and Rachel

miffy
18-01-2008, 03:26 PM
No I've never used them either but like everyone else would like to know!!!

Hope there is someone who knows the answer

Miffy xx

angeldelight
18-01-2008, 03:56 PM
I have some of these and they are really popular with the children

I have a few web sites but not sure which one I used it was Victoria on the old forum that pointed me in the direction of them and who got me interested

I am sure there is an old thread on there somewhere I just have not got time to look

Here are a few of the websites and the last site tells you all about

http://www.ascoeducational.co.uk/empathydolls.html

http://www.msma.co.uk/

http://www.beyondbullying.com/uploads/exploring_the_use_of_empathy_dolls_in_early_years_ settings_asco_educational_supplies.pdf

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
24-01-2008, 10:41 PM
thanks for the links, I was thinking about these whilst cutting and sticking for my NVQ

jo f
25-01-2008, 12:35 AM
I have finger/ hand puppet which has a person with a different emotion on each finger. My mindees are a little young for making up stories as such, but recognise the happy and sad, and show me a happy/ sad face. Its fab I got it from E bay a while ago

taiwallis
15-11-2008, 07:39 PM
i have just returned from an 'empathy doll' training day!! they look like cabbage patch kids - come in all race, sex etc - you decide the name, age, and family background of your 'empathy doll'. It is a way for children in your setting to bond with a lifeless doll/toy, and to be able to share emotions/feelings with it, that they perhaps wouldnt want to share with you. For example, if you have child that's parent works away from home, your doll, could also have a family member that works away - and you discuss how 'in a positive view' he is excited that his mummy/daddy is coming back - you must never discuss negatives. You are encouraged to treat your empathy doll as another member of your setting, to the point that you have a scrap book for your empathy doll too!! When OFSTED arrive, you are supposed to hand them file on your empathy doll, which has all the forms in it, including background etc and diary so that they get to 'know' your new member before they enter your setting!
One point - i introduced my empathy doll when i came back to my husband and children - my husbands response i cant repeat!! my children wanted to know why, if he was a child in my setting and had parents, he wasnt with them at the weekend and was with us - a point i will have to think about if i decide to use him in my setting!!!!!!

sarah707
15-11-2008, 08:10 PM
i have just returned from an 'empathy doll' training day!! they look like cabbage patch kids - come in all race, sex etc - you decide the name, age, and family background of your 'empathy doll'. It is a way for children in your setting to bond with a lifeless doll/toy, and to be able to share emotions/feelings with it, that they perhaps wouldnt want to share with you. For example, if you have child that's parent works away from home, your doll, could also have a family member that works away - and you discuss how 'in a positive view' he is excited that his mummy/daddy is coming back - you must never discuss negatives. You are encouraged to treat your empathy doll as another member of your setting, to the point that you have a scrap book for your empathy doll too!! When OFSTED arrive, you are supposed to hand them file on your empathy doll, which has all the forms in it, including background etc and diary so that they get to 'know' your new member before they enter your setting!
One point - i introduced my empathy doll when i came back to my husband and children - my husbands response i cant repeat!! my children wanted to know why, if he was a child in my setting and had parents, he wasnt with them at the weekend and was with us - a point i will have to think about if i decide to use him in my setting!!!!!!

That's very interesting, thank you for sharing!

I do wonder if some people can go a bit far with these things though :rolleyes:

FizzysFriends
15-11-2008, 08:11 PM
How is this different to a normal doll that you have just made a 'background' for?

taiwallis
15-11-2008, 08:19 PM
no difference really - however the 'doll' must be soft bodied - large, and these ones have eyes that are directioned so that if you hold them in your left arm like a baby, they make eye contact with you!!!! Quite freaky when there are 20 of them watching you from a table all the way through a course.

However - with this training course - free through North Yorkshire county council - you get the doll free at the end! and of course the training is free. www.earlyideas.co.uk

That was the lady that delivered the course to us - her company that NYCC have paid for - she is good - quite funny actually - i wasnt bored for the day. I was convinced by the end that they were good to use - but since being hold, i am finding flaws, however i have written to her to ask her how i approach these flaws - i await her response.

I have to say, i didnt feel like i had a wasted day - BUT, this 'thing' is meant to have its own learning development book (scrap book) and everything else that all the other children have - DO I HAVE TIME??? to do this for something that is not real, when i have enough to do already with paperwork???

taiwallis
15-11-2008, 08:25 PM
no difference really - however the 'doll' must be soft bodied - large, and these ones have eyes that are directioned so that if you hold them in your left arm like a baby, they make eye contact with you!!!! Quite freaky when there are 20 of them watching you from a table all the way through a course.

However - with this training course - free through North Yorkshire county council - you get the doll free at the end! and of course the training is free. www.earlyideas.co.uk

That was the lady that delivered the course to us - her company that NYCC have paid for - she is good - quite funny actually - i wasnt bored for the day. I was convinced by the end that they were good to use - but since being hold, i am finding flaws, however i have written to her to ask her how i approach these flaws - i await her response.

I have to say, i didnt feel like i had a wasted day - BUT, this 'thing' is meant to have its own learning development book (scrap book) and everything else that all the other children have - DO I HAVE TIME??? to do this for something that is not real, when i have enough to do already with paperwork???

balloon
15-11-2008, 09:01 PM
I'd never heard of these before but just googles empathy dolls and a site came up with loads of them on.

I really don't have time to do a whole bunch of paperwork for something that isn't even real so don't think I'll be going down this road but they are cute and could be good for different cultures dolls without all the empathy stuff if you didn't want to do it...

http://shop.ascoeducational.co.uk/section.php?xSec=5

Monkey1
15-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I made my own up. I care for a child with a disability and i made it because she loved our travelling monkey so much. I bought a doll after consulting with Mum and i built up a story explaining her condition and she uses it on a daily basis to tell her mum how the doll is feeling! I did a duplicate....one for her to keep and one to have here. She has taken it into nursery and i had some amazing feedback from them saying it helped the other children understand her condition.
My mother in law made me some wonderful multicultural dolls and i intend making that my next project to develop their personalities. x

Twinkles
15-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I did the empathy doll training in the summer and got a free doll. My mindees are terrified of it !
One little girl won't go in the room if it's there :rolleyes:

Blaze
16-11-2008, 06:23 AM
I did the empathy doll training in the summer and got a free doll. My mindees are terrified of it !
One little girl won't go in the room if it's there :rolleyes:

Same...'cept it's my son who doesn't like it!:rolleyes:

jayne
16-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I did the training last year and got the free dol my minded kids love it the take him places and when some one from ofsted came after I had moved house she loved it she was realy in to them though when I was ofsteded last week that inspector never mentioned it even though it was on the sofa and there are pictures of him

childmind04
16-11-2008, 12:59 PM
We have one at the toy library and one of my mindees is petrified of it, even wet herself last week as i pulled something off a shelf and it came with it and landed on the floor beside her :rolleyes:

I think he is great but dont think i would bring him home as she would be too traumatised!!!

Would love to do the training for it :)

Peppa
16-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Hi, I was thinking about doing this course when i'm registered, I have a whole booklet I can do. Thank you for the info I will definately be doing this one.

Where abouts in north yorkshire are you? I'm in Norton.

Donna

taiwallis
17-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Morning all!
Introduced 'max' to my children and parents this morning. Children keep looking at it wierdly, and parents HATE it - they have said there is something very wrong in the world, when i have to waste a weekend on a course to learn about giving their children a piece of stuffed material with a wierd face on to share their emotions with. They said they would sooner rather take their children to a different childminder if they thought they couldnt share their emotions with me!! They have also asked that i dont send it home with them for overnight stays.
So i have completely wasted my time this weekend!!!!
xxxxx
ps. nr Boroughbridge, not sure where Norton is.
pps. it does make anice multicultural toy though, even though it has evil eyes that watch you!!!

Peppa
18-11-2008, 01:20 PM
hi, I know boroughbridge, my sister is on dishforth airfield. We are other side of york.

Its a shame you spent a weekend doing all that for nothing! Maybe the doll will grow on them?

Donna x