PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training

cher25
23-10-2008, 05:54 PM
My 3 year old mindee is still in nappies, i have only had him for 2 weeks. He attends nursery in the afternoons, and wears nappies there aswell.
His mum has tried to potty train him, and will leave him with no nappy on to play, but rather than say he needs the toilet he just does it wherever he is standing.
I have said i will help and tonight when he got picked up (by mums bf), i asked for mum to be told that i want to chat about training him, as i was very nearly sick while changing a dirty nappy.
Babies i can handle, a 3 year olds nappy, NOOOOOOOO chance!!!lol

However how can i go about it? I have tried putting him onto a potty and the toilet, but he just get's very upset.

p.s I have no children myself yet, and all the children i have babysat for have always been out of nappies by the age of 2 1/2 at the most, so im clueless.

crazybones
23-10-2008, 06:03 PM
My son is almost 3 and not out of nappies. He is not ready - has no clue he wants to go. We have tried a couple of times without success but there is no point pushing him. My 2 eldest and all the mindees I have potty trained have been any time between 2 and 3. If he is screaming when you put him on the potty or toilet then he is not ready and you could cause more problems with him identifying sitting on the loo as something upsetting iyswim.

katickles
23-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Unfortunatly its not down to his age its down to his body being ready & by the sounds of it - it isn't.

By trying to early you will not only be wasting your time (& having to clear up all the accidents!!), but it may make it harder in the long run.

Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/22/2258/225831.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

cher25
23-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Thank you both. To be honest i don't think he is ready either. But as i said all the children i have been around in the past have been out of nappy's before now and i actually thought it was normal to potty train at about the age of 2. All my friends and family even now, are doing it that age and succeding. I know all children are different though but it's just something im really not familiar with.
Just hope im not sick when changing his dirty nappy. Was sooooo close to it today. :(

charleyfarley
23-10-2008, 07:33 PM
My ds is 3 in a couple of weeks and I have tried several times to potty train him, he's just not interested. He will tell me after he's soiled his nappy and when it's wet, so he knows he's doing it, just doesn't tell me before it happens.

I am going to try him again next week with it being half term so we'll see how it goes.

My eldest son was trained at 2 1/2 and my dd was trained before 2 so as you can see each child is different.

Carol xx

crazybones
23-10-2008, 07:41 PM
My ds is 3 in a couple of weeks and I have tried several times to potty train him, he's just not interested. He will tell me after he's soiled his nappy and when it's wet, so he knows he's doing it, just doesn't tell me before it happens.

I am going to try him again next week with it being half term so we'll see how it goes.

My eldest son was trained at 2 1/2 and my dd was trained before 2 so as you can see each child is different.

Carol xx

Good luck Carol. We are having another try next week too. We have some love Peppa Pig "George" underpants and we have, this evening, had a lovely incident with him trying to change his own dirty nappy whilst I was filling the dishwasher. I am not going to say any more. Except EWWWWWW! Hopefully it is a sign that he is ready.

charleyfarley
23-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Good luck Carol. We are having another try next week too. We have some love Peppa Pig "George" underpants and we have, this evening, had a lovely incident with him trying to change his own dirty nappy whilst I was filling the dishwasher. I am not going to say any more. Except EWWWWWW! Hopefully it is a sign that he is ready.

Good luck Annie and William :thumbsup: We have Thomas pants but they are just not working :panic:

Hope tonight was a sign that he is ready Annie, how proud would you be :jump for joy:

Let us know how you both get on

Carol xx

Gherkin
23-10-2008, 08:44 PM
My dd is not quite ready yet and she has the bribe of a big pink barbie when she is wearing knickers full time ( she is desparate for the Barbie at only 2yr 7months). Darling sone told me when he was ready. Mindee is 3 on Saturday and is only just happy going on Potty but only at home. They tell you. sorry

LittleStars
25-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Those of you having problems...I had real issues with my youngest potty training at 3 as he had to be dry before preschool!! What finally worked for us was a sticker off ebay that you put in the bottom of the potty and when it gets wet a smiley face appeared...He was SO desperate for that smiley face that he would sit there until that wee wee came!! The pooing took a bit longer and I :blush: to admit that we bought some horrendous sticky bright lollies that he and his brother were ONLY allowed when he did a poo in the loo.... bit of pressure from big bro as he wanted a lolly seemed to work well if not quite politically correct!!!

Jen x

crazybones
25-10-2008, 07:20 AM
I like the sticker idea. :thumbsup:

squiggle
25-10-2008, 08:21 AM
i made a chart for my dd Lacey. she is three next week and still has the occasional accident but is more or less there.

i downloaded pictures of cadburys chocolate buttons off google and stuck them on the chart i made. each time she did something on the toilet she got a star, when she reached the top of the column for that day she got some choc buttons. it took her only 3 days

i think children can be too clever sometimes - they know what we are trying to do and like to be awkward

Jen x