PDA

View Full Version : Oooh quick - what should I do??

Schnakes
23-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Right, Im writing this quickly cos Ive got to leave for school in 5 mins!!

Situation: In January I will have a space Mon-Thur full time hours. Im really worried about filling it cos its been quiet as the grave round here.

Just had a lady on the phone who wants those hours but starts NEXT WEEK!! Mad! Why leave it so late!! Anyway...arrgh. Any suggestions? It would be great to have someone lined up but not sure how to wangle this one!! (And I do love a good wangle! :littleangel: )

Sx

sparky
23-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Snap it up :thumbsup:

Have you got the space vacant atm? If not you could contact OFSTED for a variation based on the fact that it will only be temporary. Dont know if you'd get it by next week though :panic: ...worth a try!!

Pipsqueak
23-10-2008, 02:38 PM
go for it:thumbsup:

deeb66
23-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree

Good luck :thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
23-10-2008, 02:40 PM
guessing you've not got the space yet so get on phone to Ofsted asap and get it in motion

Schnakes
23-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Sorry - I should have said, Im full till then - would have an overlap Mon,Wed and Thur.

What would I say to Ofsted though? Ive had variations granted before but Ive always had a good excuse!!

Sx

Tatia
23-10-2008, 03:04 PM
How long is the overlap? And how will it put you over your numbers? OFSTED will grant variations for wiggling about the ages (for instance, 4 under 5) but they will not grant a variation for more than 6 under 8s (or whatever you're registered for).

Chatterbox Childcare
23-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Go for the overlap. Isn't there anyone you can work with for a couple of weeks?

Schnakes
25-10-2008, 08:19 AM
You snooze you loose. Waited until yesterday to phone the lady back and she'd already found someone. :( Ah well - will know for next time. Fingers crossed somebody else wants the space come the new year!

Sx

Twinkles
25-10-2008, 10:20 AM
You snooze you loose. Waited until yesterday to phone the lady back and she'd already found someone. :( Ah well - will know for next time. Fingers crossed somebody else wants the space come the new year!

Sx

Oh shame :( I expect something else will be along soon.

cathchad
25-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Right now i am very confused...i too am in a similar situation...
I have a baby lined up for March(mum paying a retainer to secure place)..mum has told me she will be paying me 5 full days as then she knows even if she doesnt need all 5 she knows she has secured them..baby will be 8 months when he starts with me..but i have had another enquiry for a baby 2 days a week(baby 3 month old)..to start now,but because of the baby starting in March..its means in March i wud maybe be overlapping with 2 under a yearvery confusing i know..would i get any joy with a variation with this do you think??? don't like turning people down..business is hardly blooming lol.xx

Twinkles
25-10-2008, 03:07 PM
How old would they both be in March ? How long have you been minding ? What other children do you have ?

Can't hurt to speak to someone at ofsted before you put in a formal application.

cathchad
25-10-2008, 03:14 PM
:clapping: Baby 1 would be 8 month and baby 2 would be 6 month ish..i currently mind 1 other little boy on a mon n a fri 9-4.30 he is 2 in march and do a pick up on a wed afternoon for a 3yr old who i also mind for 3 days in the school hols...i have been minding for 9 yrs...never ever thought of a variation..just taken it as gospel that what you registered for is gospel...only found out from reading this thread...

Twinkles
25-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Speak to someone informally if you can. They only usually give variations for continuity of care ie; someones work hours have increased and they would overlap or if a child you look after has a new sibling etc.
They will want to know how you will meet the needs of all the children - have you got enough equipment etc.

Rubybubbles
26-10-2008, 08:06 AM

Sx

oh no, hope something comes along soon

Rubybubbles
26-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Right now i am very confused...i too am in a similar situation...
I have a baby lined up for March(mum paying a retainer to secure place)..mum has told me she will be paying me 5 full days as then she knows even if she doesnt need all 5 she knows she has secured them..baby will be 8 months when he starts with me..but i have had another enquiry for a baby 2 days a week(baby 3 month old)..to start now,but because of the baby starting in March..its means in March i wud maybe be overlapping with 2 under a yearvery confusing i know..would i get any joy with a variation with this do you think??? don't like turning people down..business is hardly blooming lol.xx

you can all but try;)

You can only charge a retainer IF you have the space avaible though, if taking on the 3 month old fills your space then you can't (does that make sense?)

For 2 days a week, I would get hold of Ofsted and go from there! And explain to the 2 day a week mum, it can only be temporay, until you get confirmation from Ofsted (you never know what will happen by March:()

Also if you have been childminding for 9 years, oftsed are normally okay with a varition, but as it would be for 4 under 5's (or what ever they call it now!) and 2 under 1 I am not sure

Hope that makes sense:laughing: