PDA

View Full Version : no water - whats the rule?!

kindredspirits
23-10-2008, 10:38 AM
a watermain has burst near our house ,came home from tescos to find no water coming out the taps etc. I've got bottled water for drinking but the toilet doesn't flush. they so far haven't got a reconnect time. Do I have to 'close' if theres no water or can I just ensure that theres drinking water available? i've only got after school mindees so i've got a little time left for it to be reconnected. anyone know the rule when it comes to this?

cloud9
23-10-2008, 10:46 AM
It just states that fresh drinking water must be available to children at all times throughout the mindees day.
As long as you have bottled i wouldn't worry to much

Mrs.L.C
23-10-2008, 10:50 AM
There was a similar thread awhile ago and some1 said if the toilet doesnt flush or the children cant wash hands then you cant open but then saying that, as its for just a couple of hours, have you got a neighbours/friends house you could use for toilet and hand washing if they were ok with it?.....Im only assuming this is ok but im sure some1 will say otherwise if its not

emmadines
23-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I would ring the NCMA and see what they say!

ewww the thought of not being able to flush the toilet with mindees running about.

kindredspirits
23-10-2008, 10:54 AM
my mindees rarely use the toilet and dh said he could fill the sistern for me beforehand so i think i'll get some anti-bacterial gel (i ran out this morning) and let them come. dh thinks i'm being retentive but i don't care! :laughing:

tinkerbelle
23-10-2008, 10:56 AM
if youv got bottled water use this as well to fill cistern you can use toilet then

crazybones
23-10-2008, 11:15 AM
If you have enough water to fill the cistern and drinking then you should be ok. When it happend to me I had enough drinking water but not enough for the cistern. Luckily I had 3 in nappies and it came back on just in time for after schoolers or I would have had to consider closing.

SimplyLucy
23-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Take the mindees back into school and get them to go to the loo before you get home!

Raggydolls
23-10-2008, 11:43 AM
if u havent flushed your cistern yet it will still have some water in it as that doesnt drain when the water stops, i wud personally get them to use school loos and have antic bac gel to hand, but then again i only have my after schoolers for an hour after school!

if it was a full day thing then i wud insist the water board send me bottles NOW and use them to fill up loo and have drinking water..... can we not claim for water on our books for this reason to continue working??

maybe someone more official will tell u - no u defo have to close! so will be interesting to find out

leanne
xx

sarah707
23-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I would speak to Ofsted and your insurance company ... find out what they say.

You can use bottled water for hand washing, cooking, drinking etc but the loo is clearly the issue.

I would not work until I had the say so from both O and insurance co.

Hth :D

Alibali
23-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Have you a childminder friend nearby you could go to after school? My friend is getting a new kitchen so she brings her lot here and the parents are happy to collect from here too.

kindredspirits
23-10-2008, 01:38 PM
waters back on! Phew!!!! thanks for all the replies. anna x