PDA

View Full Version : ofsted and variations

sarahjane
23-10-2008, 09:06 AM
hi I'm fairly new on here and hoping you might be able to offer some advice.
I've had an enquiry from a mum with a 2 1/2 month old looking for 3 pms a week from 1.15 - 5.15 from April so baby will be about 8 months old. The mum has phoned me because the baby has a medical problem (floppy larynx) and I was a registered nurse in a previous life! She's also phoned most of the other childminders in the area who are either full or won't accept the baby because of her problems.
The problem i have is that I have space on 1 afternoon but the other 2 I am full, although 1 child goes to playgroup from 12.45 - 3.15 and my first child goes home at 4.00.
My question is - how flexible are ofsted in situations like this? I realise I will have to ask for a variation on these 2 afternoons, but will the fact that the mum has chosen me because of my background and the baby's problems be reason enough to grant me the variation. I already have 1 variation allowing me 4 children 1 day a week.
Sorry it's a bit long!

deeb66
23-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi

It is impossible to say whether or not Ofsted will say yes........I find it difficult to keep up with what they will and will not do as they change from day to day :rolleyes:

My suggestion would be to contact them in writing and explain your circumstances etc etc and explain your background as a nurse.

You could always ask the parent to write a letter too explaining the condition and why they have chosen you and attach this to your request.

I would think that due to the parent specifically wanting you and your medical background that you stand a good chance but i could be wrong!

Pauline
23-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I would go with Dee's advice, you can always try and Ofsted might well listen if the parent get's in touch with them.

(I will move your thread to Minding Chat - as this section is for problems with the forum - you will get more answers there :))

deeb66
23-10-2008, 10:13 AM
(I will move your thread to Minding Chat - as this section is for problems with the forum - you will get more answers there :))

Sorry Pauline.....didn't spot which section this was posted in.

You will have to deduct money from my salary :)

10% of £0 is? :laughing:

mandy moo
23-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi sarah jane
Ive been touch with Ofsted today with regard to a varience, and was told they wont do it over the phone it ALL needs to be in writing..
do you have the address if not here you are
ATTN of Inspection Support Team
Building C
Cumberland Place
Notts, NG1 6HJ
Mandy

LisaH
23-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I would think bearing in mind the circumstances that ofsted will grant you a variation.

A letter from babies parents will help things along for sure. Good luck with it, let us know.:)

sarahjane
23-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.
and thanks Pauline for moving me to the right place - I will get the hang of this eventually!!
Mum is coming to visit me next week so will suggest she writes a letter to support my application.

Chatterbox Childcare
23-10-2008, 01:49 PM
To get things moving I would email the request over to Ofsted along with a grid showing the exact times you are over (they like this) and explain why you need it.

That should get the ball rolling but do followi it up with a registered copy of the letter.