PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if i should leave my dh as assistant?

childmind04
23-10-2008, 06:43 AM
My dh is registered as my assistant but im not sure if it is worth it?

If he cant look after over 5' which is where he used to help me by collecting our son and my other mindee from school there is not much i need him for, i cant get him on a first aid course as too many minders need theirs and we are a bit strapped for cash to pay for it ourselves, and i dont want it to look bad on my inspection if he has not got it :panic:

Do i need to inform ofsted or just leave it and tell them? I was advised by my co-ordinator as he works from home and she said it looked better to parents (which we had no probs with) but now with eyfs its turned into a nightmare!!

Susan

Pauline
25-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I'd be inclined to leave him registered rather than cancel it. But if you have an inspection tell the inspector that he is not working for you at the moment because he can't get first aid.

At least then if he manages to get a first aid in the future you won't have to re-register him, if you see what I mean.

Best thing might be to phone Ofsted, explain the situation and just check that my suggestion of leaving him registered would be ok. I'd hate to tell you wrong. :)

childmind04
25-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks Pauline managed to get him on a first aid in January but think i will phone them anyway as because of the over 5 ruling it is more or less pointless, cant get my head round the fact i can leave him with 3 under 5 but he can pick 1 over 5 up from school!!!

Susan

Pauline
25-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks Pauline managed to get him on a first aid in January but think i will phone them anyway as because of the over 5 ruling it is more or less pointless, cant get my head round the fact i can leave him with 3 under 5 but he can pick 1 over 5 up from school!!!

Susan

I know just what you mean Susan. It will affect us the same.

Next year on 31st August my hubby will be allowed sole care of two of our 5 year olds but the next day he won't! So when they start back to school I will have to leave him with the little ones while I go and collect from school.

But the sad thing is that he often takes the boys on the playing field after school for a game of footie, they will miss that so much - how do you explain to a five year old that the rules have changed :huh:

Ofsted want this care based on the interests of the child etc. yet put barriers there to thwart us! :panic:

childmind04
28-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Just an update on this, phoned ofsted and inspector said at first he did not need first aid, so i said about the part in eyfs that says someone on premises etc must have a first aid, she has just phoned me back and confirmed yes he would need it so i have de registered him as she seemed to think it would be easy to be seem as a negative thing, even if he was not actually working and as i dont need him for the younger it made it simpler for me :(

Our local council will only give him a space on a course if someone cancels and no one can fill it and the course starting in Jan has been refunded through no takers!!!

My new ertificate is on its way :(

Susan

Chatterbox Childcare
28-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Personally I would leave him on and tell Ofsted that there are not any first aid courses available and therefore he won't be left unattended.

I think there will be a reversal next year on collected over 5's and it would be a shame to go through the whole process again

Andrea08
28-11-2008, 02:11 PM
sorry to butt in but what has changed about collecting over 5s? with your partners or assistants? have i missed something or just not thinking (it is friday!) x

Pauline
28-11-2008, 03:35 PM
sorry to butt in but what has changed about collecting over 5s? with your partners or assistants? have i missed something or just not thinking (it is friday!) x

Once a child leaves EYFS i.e. on the 31st August after their 5th birthday, an assistant is not allowed sole care of them, even with parents permission but it is going back to the powers that be with a view to it being changed.

I've had the reasons explained to me and in some ways it does make sense, I am going to post separately about it so that it doesn't get lost (that is assuming I can possible explain in writing!!) :rolleyes: