PDA

View Full Version : I too have had THE phone call

flora
22-10-2008, 07:30 PM
As I was sitting by the A15 this afternoon having broken down and waiting for the AA .

Ofsted phoned and left a msg they want to do my inspection.:eek:

I don't feel at all ready, I have the basics in place but is there anything I am likely to overlook as I am rushing around like a headless chuck???? :D

sarah707
22-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh good luck! :clapping:

Rubybubbles
22-10-2008, 07:36 PM
oh hun:clapping:

when was your last inspection? or is this your first (I have no idea!!)

flora
22-10-2008, 07:49 PM
oh hun:clapping:

when was your last inspection? or is this your first (I have no idea!!)

3yrs ago.

I had a witch of an inspector but I know this one is ok :thumbsup:

I just don't feel ready ifykwim??

I have the permissions signed, I have policies and toys and photos and activities and and and I know my parents and kids are really happy, just not sure I have got enough to get a good grading.

I have changed and improved things since my last inspection and I will certainly not allow the things she picked up on 3yrs ago to be picked up on again.

I got a satisfactory last time overall even though I had mainly goods :( and so I would really like to get good this time.

I know I can't get an outstanding as the house isn't up to it. We need to decorate and being on the farm most inspectors just don't "get" the environment.

But heres hoping.

And "good luck" sarah is that all you have to say ????? :laughing: much appreciated none the less :D

crazybones
22-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe they will "Get the environment" now as there is so much emphasis on outdoor play and learning. Sell yourself on the opportunities the farm can offer. There must be so much more you can offer in that area. I would love to send my kids to you - they would be over the moon. :clapping:
Oh and Good Luck too.

Rubybubbles
22-10-2008, 08:35 PM
sorry flora but 3 years already gone or coming up to:panic: I am due mine in december:laughing: and Am already in a panic and been told it will be after as of how they are doing them in lincolnshire at the moment (did you get that letter too?)

Anyways enough about me - good luck, is there anything we can help with?

Pudding Girl
22-10-2008, 08:46 PM
How about pulling up some research on "forest schools" to waylay them if they go on about the setting/decor etc - it's very much in vogue, my SCMA mag was full of it :) When is it anyway??

miffy
22-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Do you know when they are coming Flora?

Good luck but I'm sure you will be fine :)

Miffy xx

jubilant ju
22-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi, I have just had the call this week aswell. She has told me one day in November! Guess it gives me a week or so to get it all together. I am writing myslf an ongoing list as I look through this site - so much useful stuff on here isn't there? This is my first one so not sure how it all works. I was wondering what you fell down on last time? Have you done your self evaluation? She seemed very keen on that when I spoke with her - I said I had started it! Good luck -Please let me know how it goes. :panic:

miffy
23-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Good luck with yours too Ju

There are some of the new-style inspection reports on the Ofsted website so it might be worth you reading through a few of them for some ideas of what's "hot" atm.

Miffy xx

childmind04
23-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Good luck both of you :)

I would think a farm could be a fantastic setting for childcare, suppose a bit like the setting in the last practical chilcare? where they were in a zoo :)

susan

cherry
23-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Just wanted to say good luck to both of you :thumbsup:

CCJD
23-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow a childminder on a farm!!!!!!!! That screams childhood heaven to me!! My children would be begging me to send them to you!!!

Maybe spend a little time thinking through the activities you do (or can do) with real learning outcomes, that the rest of us boring, just live in a house with a poxy garden, cant offer. Maybe make a big collage to put up for the inspection - showing photo's and activities that come from your unique setting. Celebrating the advantages of your location.

Sometimes people need to be shown things from a different angle to help push aside any pre-conceived ideas they have.

Good luck - it's lovely to have your hard work recognised by a professional body like Ofsted but remember that in business terms (ie: getting parents to use you) the grade you get from Ofsted doesnt make or break you. We have plenty of Outstanding's round here with vacancies - just like those who got "good" or "satisfactory".

loocyloo
23-10-2008, 10:19 AM
hi, your setting sounds great!

my inspector was HOT HOT HOTon risk assessment! she asked me to go round with her pointing out the risks i had identified, and what i had done/what i did to reduce these risks. she liked the comprehensive room by room risk assessment form i had done, including garden/car/outings!

she also liked it when i showed/explained how i am self evaluating as i go along ... ie, i started off using trackers for my developmental observations, but decided too long winded, so keeping for ideas, but now taking photos/post it notes etc.

i just waffled at her lots, basically when ever anything came into mind that i thought was interesting!

good luck xxx

ChocolateChip
23-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Haven't got any other advice that hasn't already been given, but just wanted to say good luck with it!

katickles
23-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Good luck!! You are aware of what they pulled you on last time & like you said they are not getting you on these areas this time - so im sure it will be a breeze!!

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/22/2258/225831.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Monkey1
23-10-2008, 12:31 PM
You will be fine Flora! Just make sure you pick up the cow poo!:laughing:

flora
23-10-2008, 06:36 PM
You will be fine Flora! Just make sure you pick up the cow poo!:laughing:

Cows and sheep are the only animals we don't have :laughing:

But I will remember to check the garden :thumbsup: