PDA

View Full Version : grandparents as childminders

nannykim
22-10-2008, 06:38 PM
My daughter has asked me if I would give up work to look after my one year old grandaughter. I would like to do this as the baby is not thriving in full time nursery care.
What I would lke to know is if I have to be registered to do this........... I gave up being a registered childminder in 1994 to work full time. I am not an 'old' nanny , but a nanny in her 40's !!!!!! and am close both to my daughter and grandaughter.
Any help or advice would be appreciated

Pauline
22-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi

You don't have to be registered to do this but your daughter would not be able to claim tax credits etc. unless she used registered childcare.

Also, if you register as a childminder you have to be open to other children, Ofsted won't let you register just to look after grandchildren or family.

Hope that helps. :)

Angela234
22-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I look after my grandchildren as well as other children i registered (gave up my other job) to care for the grandchildren i have enjoyed every moment all the children i care for are great.

Angela

cloud9
23-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi

You don't have to be registered to do this but your daughter would not be able to claim tax credits etc. unless she used registered childcare.

Also, if you register as a childminder you have to be open to other children, Ofsted won't let you register just to look after grandchildren or family.

Hope that helps. :)

Hope you don't mind pauline i also wanted to add that even if she is a grand daughter it is illegal to care for her (for over 2 hours) if you aren't registered if you accept payment or any kind of reward.

kiddiwinks
23-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Hope you don't mind pauline i also wanted to add that even if she is a grand daughter it is illegal to care for her (for over 2 hours) if you aren't registered if you accept payment or any kind of reward.

I was going to say this also.