PDA

View Full Version : Mindee's mum is pregnant

son77
22-10-2008, 12:27 PM
So what happens now?

She made a comment saying, "well, it will be good for you". On that I asked what her plans were for work then (she works full time at mo) and she said she'll probably have to come to a compromise. So I'm presuming that means part time work and I'll have the 2 of them part time. (I didnt want to ask her too much at this early stage). If so I wont loose much money.

But what if I have another enquiry before this & I take on another child? I then wont be able to look after the new baby as will be over my numbers.

Can you tell Im panicking already?!

Also, say she does want me to have baby but wants to take older mindee out of my care whilst she on maternity leave, what do I do about charging her?

Im sure some of you have been in this situation before so are there any words of wisdom out there?

claires
22-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi could you not charge a retainer for the time the older child is off?
After all you will be keeping a place open for him won't you?
xx

Spangles
22-10-2008, 12:38 PM
She may decide to keep the older one with you on fewer hours so the child has a bit of normality and she can have some time on her own with the baby.

Don't panic yet!

yummymummy
22-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Be careful what you commit yourself to so far in advice. I have twice kept 1st mindee on at reduced hours and a place for baby only to find that mums both times have gone back to work only long enough to not pay maternity pay back and then bye bye!
it is early days and I would wait and see as anything can happen between now and then especially with new mums getting so much maternity leave.

sarahjane
22-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I've had this problem before with one of my part-timers. We came to an agreement that while mum was off work on maternity leave that she would pay me a half price retainer and i'd keep the hours open for her to use if needed (she did use me towards the end of pregnancy as she was quite ill) and when it came to the new baby I wrote to ofsted and applied for a variation on my certificate stating continuity of care for the family and was allowed the baby as well, taking my numbers up to 4 on some days. so maybe that could be an option for you.:rolleyes:

Kelly
22-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I think if you have enquiry you should approach the mum and ask her what her plans are, if she has just told you, it will probably be at least another year by the time she has gone on maternity and returned to work. If I was you I would fill the space and then apply for a variation. The LO you have will probably decrease hours when she goes on maternity as well. (I have the same situation I rang ofsted and said there was no way I could keep a space open for such a long time. They said fill the space and apply for a variation when the time came if I still needed it.)

Kelly

Rubybubbles
22-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Before I left bedfordshire one of my mums was pg

She told me at 14 weeks, and said at first she still wanted me to have mindie 2. Then she said as he was going to pre-school 5 mornings a week from Sept she didn't. Her baby was due beginning of Oct (she had a little girl aww) she is not planning to go back to work until October next year. He ds will be starting full time school in the Sept 09, and baby will be just one (phew did you get that!!)

I said (before I knew I was moving) I couldn't keep the space, for me it didn't make good business sense at all.

One of the other mums I was going to have, has now shot her new childminder in the foot and said with 3 weeks to go, she doesn't need her:mad:

I am so glad I didn't stay around for work!! But I do understand as I am on an RAF camp everything is so much different

son77
23-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all of your advice girls.

Well, childminding certainly keeps you on your toes, thats for sure!

kindredspirits
23-10-2008, 09:35 PM
one of my mindees mums is pregnant, baby due april and she mentioned that will be another one for you - but i'm not counting my apples until baby is born/contracts worked out etc. but as for the other mindee i think i'll keep him on full fees as he's only after school, and her tax credits pay for it so i guess it won't make a difference to her one way or t'other. theres no point (in my opinion) in this case of keeping the space open for £25 a week (which would be half fees.)

sarahstanbridge
24-10-2008, 06:55 AM
when one of my mums was pregnant i thought they would put baby with me but they didnt they put him ino nursery!!! the daughter never stoped coming to me even when mum was on maternity leave. baby will be 3 on sunday and parents have said that when he starts school he they WILL be sending him to me!! - they just assume that i will have a space for him them. havent said anything to them as he has another couple of years yet.... oh and they daughter still comes to me althought she now goes to school breakfast cvlub and i suspect that they will send her to after school club when it opens after xmas...

i would not worry just yet as they may will still send mindie to you when she is off on maternity leave.

gemhei
24-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I wouldnt panic, id wait till she was a bit further on and discuss plans with her. If she wants baby to come id ask for a retainer, if shes unsure and you get another offer id take it, theres always the option of applying to ofsted for a change to your numbers in order to keep the continuity of care to the older sibling. But i def would take the retainer if shes planning on leaving baby.

angeldelight
24-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I would normally say wait and talk about it later

Depends on the parent though - you dont seem to able to chat and ask questions - maybe you should ?

A few years ago when one of my parents were pregnant she told me straight away that I would be having the baby

I did keep the place open and she paid me a large deposit when she had the baby then he started at 3mths

I still had her older child when she was off work so it did not affect me at all

I would speak to her you need to know where you stand dont you

Angel xx

son77
30-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Well i'm feeling a bit more relaxed about it now.

Had 2 enquiries in 2 days & 1 lady was so impressed she's asked me to put her on a waiting list for care next Sept.

A waiting list :jump for joy: I cant believe it!!

angeldelight
31-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Well i'm feeling a bit more relaxed about it now.

Had 2 enquiries in 2 days & 1 lady was so impressed she's asked me to put her on a waiting list for care next Sept.

A waiting list :jump for joy: I cant believe it!!

Wow thats great news for you

Good luck

Angel xx

chantelbutterwo
31-10-2008, 08:37 AM
If you did commit to another child before the baby is born you could always request a variation from OFSTED to care for the baby. Its important to keep the siblings together and to insure continuity of care its best for the older child to stay with you. I guess it depends how many children are in your care already and resources you have etc

son77
31-10-2008, 12:51 PM
If you did commit to another child before the baby is born you could always request a variation from OFSTED to care for the baby. Its important to keep the siblings together and to insure continuity of care its best for the older child to stay with you. I guess it depends how many children are in your care already and resources you have etc

I'd be more worried about my sanity actually!

Today I have a 3yr old, 18 mth old & 2 8yr olds and Ive had enough already.

Luckily it's friday!!