PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticed that childcare requirements seem much more short term nowadays?

yummymummy
22-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Is it just me? But in the last few years virtually all my mindees have been with me short term only?
When I first started I cared for them from 6 months until starting reception, including pre school and nursery.
I find now that virtually all my children seem to be short term although very few of the parents are honest enough to say this when they sign contracts.
I realise that they get nursery funding from three and some start in reception aged just four but it feels like just as you get comfortable with the amount of mindees you currently have on your books, someone leaves, you are back to square one again having to advertise but getting very little response.:panic:

angeldelight
22-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes I agree

A lot of my children since last year have gone now and ive had new ones and new ones again.
My full timers are still here and have been for ages though

But yes ive noticed that some do not stay long - a lot of people do not seem to stick to their jobs / or college either so maybe that is one of the reasons ?

Angel xx

Chatterbox Childcare
22-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Not me = they don't seem to leave until they are 13

marian
22-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Mine tend to all leave at full - time nursery time - to go to full time nursery!
I usually have had them from babies. But thats just the way the parents round here think.
Marian x

christine e
22-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi
One thing that I have noticed is that children now only seem to be attending part time. When I started minding (many moons ago) I only ever had full time but now the children come for 2 or 3 days only the before and after school ones come every day though.

Cx

Jules27
22-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi
One thing that I have noticed is that children now only seem to be attending part time. When I started minding (many moons ago) I only ever had full time but now the children come for 2 or 3 days only the before and after school ones come every day though.

Cx

Think the reason behind this is because mums particually don't want to miss too much and therefore work the minimum hours they can to be able to make ends meet. Can understand before and after schoolers being everyday though as bit older. I know before starting minding myself my long term goal was to work full time once my youngest started school... Plans appear to have been changed now... lol!!!

sarah707
22-10-2008, 12:17 PM
As soon as the 15 hours free entitlement comes up off they go...

And if parents can get relatives to fill in the gaps then they do.

I think it's a money thing :(

madasahatter
22-10-2008, 01:51 PM
I think the reason that mums are opting for part-time work is because of the childcare element of the working families tax credit. Previously they had to go back to work full-time to earn enough to pay the bills and your fees. Now that a good chunk of their childcare fees are paid by the government they don't have to work for quite as long. I think this is great because they get to spend more time with their little ones and there is less guilt about having to go back to work. Mums get the best of both worlds, time with other adults and time with their little ones.
All my young mindees are part-time (3 days a week) though i have to say I've not had any short-term mindees at all. This could be because in the last 5 years I've only had space for siblings and a few children that have come via recommendation. I've currently got one child (aged 9) who's mum is really upset because I won't have space for her baby (due at Xmas) when she goes back to work next September (unless things change).
Another mum is still on her maternity leave and her 2 yr old has continued to come for his 3 days a week all the way through. She decided it would give her time with her new daughter and provide continuity for him. Currently the 2 yr old is coming 2 days a week and the baby 1 day (so she's still paying the same and not taking up an extra space). This is helping the baby settle with me as she will be 9 months old when mum finally goes back to work.

Chimps Childminding
22-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi

Cx

I agree Christine, I can't remember when I last had an enquiry for a full-time child, all of mine aer 2 or 3 days a week!!!!!!

Gherkin
23-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Full time???? What is that????

I am trying to get accredited so that I can access the 15 hours funding for parents. Think it might help me fill some of my gaps and then i can also get the funding for my own daughter when she turns 3 next spring.

And apparantly if you are accreditted now your ofsted inspection is exactly the same as if you are not accreditted.