PDA

View Full Version : This is getting to be a joke

abba1772
21-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Was babysitting my mindee who's parents gave notice on Monday as they told me that they had a relative coming over to stay from poland therefore they didn't need childcare.

well was reading the childcare vouchers leaflet they had and i noticed they have a new contract with a childminder starting where mine leaves off :panic:

so i ask the mum outright "have i done anything wrong" and if so tell me so i can better my setting for the other children in my care. she told me the biting which was 6 weeks ago and hasn't happened since i spoke to the other child's parents and that her son has pciked up a naughty phrase which is "shut up" :eek:

HUH all kids go through that stage i don't tell my kids to shut up they might have pciked it up from playgroup not 100% sure but thats the reason for notice. I'm stunned and didn't know what to say. they said they are not sure about moving to the other childminder so they have 3 weeks to re-consider but at this stage i don't know what i want. kids pick up so much but i'm getting the blame because they are a polish couple and speak polish when they are in their own home so they have came to the comlusioon that it's my fault

what would you do?????

kindredspirits
21-10-2008, 08:48 PM
i'd tell her straight you never tell any kids to 'shut up' so he's not getting that from you, and as for the biting its a stage a lot of kids go through, theres little you can do about it but intervene..... personally i would rather say goodbye to parents that can't tell you straight when there's an issue, even if its i'm giving notice because.... but it depends whether you need the income or not!

anna x

berkschick
21-10-2008, 08:48 PM
How awful for you.

I think they have a cheek asking you to babysit to be honest having lied to you!!!

I can understand them being annoyed about them saying shut up but it seems a very petty reason to give notice.

Im not sure I would want to continue with this family to be honest after the contract is up. How easy will it be to replace them?

abba1772
21-10-2008, 08:51 PM
How awful for you.

I think they have a cheek asking you to babysit to be honest having lied to you!!!

I can understand them being annoyed about them saying shut up but it seems a very petty reason to give notice.

Im not sure I would want to continue with this family to be honest after the contract is up. How easy will it be to replace them? at the moment it's a bit of wait and see waiting to see if someone is wanting the space at the mo

i know it sounds petty i just can't get my head around this. really beginning to doubt myself after nearly 3 years of childminding

yummymummy
22-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Any parent who would just take a child who is settled with one childminder to another one who they are unsure of without discussing any issues with the current childminder are quite frankly not putting their child's interests first.
Children pick up all sorts of sayings and actions from mixing with other children at groups and it is something that really can't be avoided.
Easier said than done but don't worry, if they do this to you over something so petty they will do this again so in some ways you could well be better off without them.
You must do as you think best for yourself in your circumstances but if it were me I'd work notice period and let them try elsewhere.:)

sarah707
22-10-2008, 08:06 AM
First of all give yourself a big pat on the back for tackling this with the parents... you're a star to ask the question!

Now use it to inform your practice... you don't want to take on such petty parents ever again, so when you do your intial interviews, ask parents questions like - how would you react if your child was a biter? How would you react if your child was hit by another child? How would you react if your child came home with a phrase you didn't like such as 'poo poo head' which is what one of my boys is spouting at the moment...?

Get things clear from the outset what your action would be as well.

I hope you can put this behind you and move on xx

Tatia
22-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't have them back on any terms considering they lied to you. :angry: In fact, I hope you tell them you won't be babysitting for them anymore, either, the creeps. Oooh that makes me so angry! If they're worried enough to remove him from your care, why the devil are they asking you to have him extra hours?! It all boils down to convenience for them, I'd say.

You're well rid!

abba1772
22-10-2008, 11:37 AM
well we'll see what the dad says as he's the one that told me the lie

been thinking about it all day and i think i might just work the notice and get rid, have a lead on a childminding query just waiting for her to get back to me but it's not til January.

fingers crossed x x x

abba1772
22-10-2008, 01:10 PM
well spoke to the dad and they are still switching, as he told me who the childminder was that the child is going to and I know who it is. when i asked if they had told the childminder for the reason they are switching he said no and advised him he's picking up more saying now because he is getting older and that when he goes o school he'll pick up much worse lol

Schnakes
23-10-2008, 01:53 PM
why the devil

:clapping: Love that phrase...so underused! :D

I looked after a Polish boy whos family only spoke Polish at home. He all of a sudden started saying "oh sh(and the rest)" when something annoying happened. I was horrified and stamped it out quite quickly but of course, I got the blame from the parents cos they dont speak English at home! Like I go round swearing all day in front of the kids! :angry:

Sx