PDA

View Full Version : Mindee's Firsts - What do you do?

CCJD
21-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Was just reading the GMTV thread where a post says something along the lines of "instead of telling parents that their child took their first steps you write it down". This post wasnt about reporting the child's first anything and was more about our practices in the EYFS but I did think "I dont report my mindee's first anythings!" and wondered what other childminders do.

I must admit that I have always felt that lots of parents are saddled with enough guilt about going to work without being told that they have missed their child's first step, first tooth, first words. I always keep quiet until parent comes in and tells me that their child did..... last night and from that point on I will then make plenty of reference to their progression in this area .

It's amazing that in 10 years of childminding all my mindees have learnt to walk, talk etc at the weekends ;)

How many of you report mindee's firsts and how many stay quiet to allow parents the pleasure of discovering it themselves?

DudleyChildmind
21-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree with your thoughts on this. I always feel very uncomfortable when the mindees do something new for me as I feel sorry for the parents as they are missing out. I usually keep quiet for a day or two and see if they do it at home.

The other day my mindee let me hold him in my arms and sing 'Rock a bye baby' and his mommy said I wish he did that for me :(

Kelly
21-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I completely agree, I would never dream of taking away a first anything from a parent. It's amazing how a a first step or tooth always arrives at the weekend ;)

It did become difficult once when one of my LO's was walking for nearly 2 weeks, everyone saw it at drop-in all the other children, but not mum and dad, she just didn't do it at home!!!! I was affraid one of the kids would say something, but eventually she did it at home, a relief all around!!! (I think mum and dad, just took her home and plonked her in a walker!!!!)

Twinkles
21-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes I agree. I have never ( :rolleyes: ) seen a child's first steps or discovered a new tooth etc. My own children were all very well prepped at not mentioning these things to parents.
In fact one mum that I became friendly with still says to this day 'I'm so glad J ( now aged 7 ) took her first steps over a weekend ' :cool:

Pudding Girl
21-10-2008, 12:23 PM
goodness no I wouldn't say anything until parents told me that little Johnny took his first steps, pee in potty, word etc!

LisaH
21-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Ditto!!! LOL

I wouldn't dream of upsetting my parents!!:)

jellytot
21-10-2008, 12:40 PM
i actually ask parents if they would want to know, i would prefer not to tell them but mum of 8mth old asked me to tell her so she knows exactly when he did his firsts

Chatterbox Childcare
21-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I am with you on this - wouldn't know if they walked today - blind as a bat I am

mum2two
21-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm the same. Feel so guilty taking it away from the parents. Quite a lot of parents HAVE to go back, they don't WANT to!

A minder I was speaking to about this said they tell the parents everything. Her opinion is 'if they don't want to stay at home with their child, then it's obvious they're going to miss out on firsts - so I tell them!' :eek:

But if they didn't go back, we wouldn't have jobs - would we... :rolleyes:

Some people!!!

sarah707
21-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Everything happens at the weekend or on evenings here too :cool:

breezy
21-10-2008, 07:54 PM

same here ;)

Blaze
21-10-2008, 08:12 PM

Same here...I have selective blindness & deafness!;)

Rubybubbles
21-10-2008, 08:14 PM
i actually ask parents if they would want to know, i would prefer not to tell them but mum of 8mth old asked me to tell her so she knows exactly when he did his firsts

I always ask the parents too!! I have had a few sets that want me to say and some that don't!

I think I was brushing little babies tooth for 2 weeks before they noticed:eek:

kindredspirits
21-10-2008, 08:46 PM
i'm pleased this post came up - its been one of those things on my mind.... theres a line between honesty and kindness!!! In my own head I took the line of saying 'So and So looks like she might walk/talk/sing/ anyday now so keep encouraging her'....
I was gutted when my DH told me my son had taken his first steps while i was in the bathroom... and he told me i was being stupid and i got to see/do everything else with him. :(

Bushpig
21-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I felt really pooh when I told a mindee's mum her son had done his first poo in the potty!!! She was gutted :( I then realised the enormity of what I had just said! BUT I have to note this down... I couldn't NOT tell her.

I have overall been more 'successful' in my toilet training with him than the parents have been at home it seems, even though we openly chat about what we are doing so as not to confuse him, but continue to feel guilty (?) about this too. But I cannot hide the fact he goes home with the same trousers he came to me in... they change him about 5 times a day :eek:

sharons
21-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Im the same when it comes to firsts, im deaf and blind too:thumbsup:

childmind04
22-10-2008, 05:56 AM
I remember last year i took on a little boy aged 2, he was very upset for a few weeks so never spoke to me plus english is an additional lanuage, anyway about a month after having him he called me susie and i was over he moon, told mum as you do and she said "oh well looks like 'mum' will be the last name you say" :eeeek: i just wanted the ground to open, i had never thought that at his age he was not even saying mum :(

Hebs
22-10-2008, 12:22 PM
my god daugter can say my name (well she calls me Hebba instead of heather but hey it's close enough) yet she does not say mum :( i feel awful for my friend cos i don't see her everyday yet she said my name first :blush:

Andrea08
22-10-2008, 01:38 PM
hi, usualy tell parents ohh J was getting close to taking a step please watch him/her im sure it will happen very soom
ofsted wont mind little white lies :p x
glad you all feel the same way and parents are happy well was until they read this forum pmsl