PDA

View Full Version : NvQ and sister

emmadines
20-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Ok no offence ment to anyone who has worked in a nursery.

My sister is now training at a nursery, she has just started the NVQ level 3. which I may add is great good luck to her.

me; mindings different from nursery
('.') says: not too different we can still do child minding with level 3 nvq
says: nursery more fun tho less mes to clen up in the house

now why does it seem that ppl think its that straight forward to get into childminding. for one we are not a nursery!:angry:

Pipsqueak
20-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Some of the worst offenders who put us minders down (either on purpose or not) are others who work in the childcare sector. It is down to sheer ignorance of what we do.

Over time opinion will change and the job we do will be recognised for what it is but in the meantime we keep our counsel or if you are like me stand up on your soapbox and go quietly (!? lol) about our business changing minds one at a time.

michellethegooner
20-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Some of the worst offenders who put us minders down (either on purpose or not) are others who work in the childcare sector. It is down to sheer ignorance of what we do.

Over time opinion will change and the job we do will be recognised for what it is but in the meantime we keep our counsel or if you are like me stand up on your soapbox and go quietly (!? lol) about our business changing minds one at a time.

times ARE changing, I have 3 sets of parents, 1 is a teacher, other TWO are nursery workers but choose to send their babies to me, and one of my mums said she couldn't do what I do as it is so more intense and that it is not that easy to become a childminder where as a person can get training on the job in a nursery.
I am also doing my NVQ 3 and was thinking about packing in childminding when my 9 yr old starts secondary school in 2 yrs, not because of the EYFS more to do with the lack of appreciation that us cm's receive and the fact that I WOULD like my home back one day, but then this job has so many positives that I will probably end up just taking on a couple of more mindees. Most of my parents now really appreciate my role in their child's life and 1 of my mums has even said she feels at ease knowing her lo has a second mum who cares for him as she does, at she knows she wouldnt get that level of one to one care in a nursery, and she works in one so that says it all really....

Trouble
20-10-2008, 09:07 PM
i have worked in both and have nvq 3 ccld and i can assure you this job is harder than working in a nursery:angry:

emmadines
21-10-2008, 09:04 AM
its always the way.

she also started with the " its easier to clean up at a nursery!" only because theres other people to help. Id like to see her do what we have to do!

Donkey
21-10-2008, 06:37 PM
anyone who gets put down by someone in a nursery remind them of these pointers....
* you get a lunch break away from the children
* you have cleaners to clean the nursery from top to bottom
* you get time out (they do in the childrens centre near me)
* there is more than 1 of you in a room at a time, so if you get puked on you have a chance to clean it up
* nursery meals are cooked by someone else (again in the childrens centre near me)
* you get training on the job and get time off work to attend training sessions.
* you get paid a set wage and you know how much is coming in at the end of the month, if a parent doesnt pay its not your problem.

/me gets off soap box