PDA

View Full Version : Extra for school pick ups?

kellyg
17-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi

I am wondering if any of you charge extra for school drop offs and collections? I am thinking of doing so given the fact the these children will not be with me all day and I will have to use extra (and ever price expanding) fuel to do the run....any suggestions?

angeldelight
17-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I do not charge extra

Angel xx

berkschick
17-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I charge a flat fee per hour no matter when hey come or for how long.

I only collect from the school my own children are at so I am there anyway and we walk so no petrol involved!

I dont currently have any children at pre-school so if I had to do a collection from there, I wouldnt charge exra but I would claim the mileage back on my tax return at 40p per mile.

HTH

Love

Debbie

emler
17-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't charge any extra for this either (although sometimes when its gale force winds and pouring rain - I wish I had lol)

Emler x

angeldelight
17-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah me too Emler haha

Angel xx

kellyg
17-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Ah I forgot about the fuel claim back - I think I will go that route too, I would rather keep things at one....I know people that charge £1.50 more to do school collections :eek: - to me thats a big price bump!

berkschick
17-01-2008, 08:29 PM
I wished this morning that I was the Mum sat in a nice warm office while a childminder was doing my school run! Lol

sarah707
17-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Oh, now, I read something about this the other day... there's a new regulation coming out where if you charge, then you are considered to be providing a taxi service so you have to register as something with the local council.....

It's new... does anyone else know?

I'll see if I can back track and find it...:p

Tily Bud
17-01-2008, 09:05 PM
No sorry i havent Sarah x

I dont charge i just claim the mileage which works out at a tidy bit each week x

sarah707
17-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Sorry! I can't find it but I know I read something about registering if you charge for taking children in your car...

It was from someone in the same local authority that were the first to register minders as a food business... and the minders in question rang NCMA for advice, but I cannot remember the outcome...

It's one of those skim-read-not-relevant moments! :rolleyes:

miffy
17-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't charge extra

Miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
17-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I charge £2 extra for drop off's and collection xxx

Tiisku
18-01-2008, 07:28 PM
I have decided to charge £1.50 for a pick-up / drop-off service. Does anyone know if that then means that I can't claim mileage on tax?

ajs
18-01-2008, 07:33 PM
yes you just put it as income on the income bit and an expense on the expense bit i should think but i am sure someone else will know for sure

i don't charge extra to collect but i do have a 2 hour minimum charge a day so it means that i charge my after schoolers for 2 hours it's not worth leaving the house for less as i don't pick up my own kids they walk home.

i know someone who charges for pick ups from when she leaves the house so if school comes out at 3.15 she used to leave at 2.45 and sit and wait as she was being paid for that time

sassy
19-01-2008, 09:43 AM
hi yes i do 2 school drop offs in the morning, i charge £1.50 to cover petrol
i just claim it back in tax
i think this is fair as like you said parents just drop off go into their nice cozy office and we get to go out in all kinds of weather and the stress factor of trying to park, walking them to the gate and then trying to get to another school in 2 minutes is not fun !!!!!
by the time i get back from school runs i have already worked for 2 hours and am only just starting on a full days work

hope not effended anyone

sassy:)

sassy
19-01-2008, 09:44 AM
sorry about my spellings !!!

manjay
19-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I am sure you have not offended anyone Sassy. After all it is your business so you can charge what you want.

I don't charge extra for school runs as I will only ever take to one school campus which is the one my children attend so I walk back and to to it already

amanda xx

samw
21-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I dont charge extra but we walk anyway. I charge a flat rate from the time school finishes to 6.00pm my finishing time, regardless of if they are with me for the full 3 hrs or just an hour.

Sam

susi513
22-01-2008, 01:31 PM
If I use my car for pick ups I charge 40p per mile for each journey. So it goes in my accounts as income but out again as expense. So on paper its £zero profit but in practice theres money in my purse so to speak.

When I last checked (NCMA & my insurance company) about the question of whether we would be classed as a taxi my insurance company told me that we do not count as a taxi service. Because we are not available for hire by strangers but are only transporting minded children who are contracted to be in our care and so the "chauffeur/taxi" role is considered to be part of that contract and not a taxi or private hire service.

BTW NCMA were clueless and repeatedly told me I could claim 40p per mile as expenses and thought that this answered the question!!!

HTH