PDA

View Full Version : NVQ3 - Children with Chronic Illness

jfbsdb
20-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I need to write a reflective account on how I have ensured children with chronic illness or physical difficulties (ie asthma, eczema etc) could participate positively in discussions and activities.

I haven't minded any children as yet with a chronic illness and wondered whether anybody could give me some ideas please of things I would need to consider to ensure a child with a chronic illness could participate positively in discussions and activites?

Jean x:)

Pedagog
20-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Its tricky as it very much depends on the individual child's condition and needs.

My youngest son has Chronic Lung Disease, and so in his case the biggest issues were avoiding smoke, highly perfumed sprays, aerosols and above all germs when he was tiny.

My eldest daughter on the other hand has Diabetes (type1), so for her it would be things like sensible food, having emergency glucose (for hypo's), being aware of her condition, fridge for insulin, insulin if eating out.

Hope that helps.

sarah707
20-10-2008, 01:07 PM
For a child with chronic eczema you would need to damp dust every day to ensure your house is as dust free as possible... sometimes it might be necessary to remove curtains and carpets or clean them regularly... talk with parents about providing gloves for messy play... control hairy pets access to rooms used by child... consider risks when using sensory play or on outings ... make sure indoor temp was controlled ... find out child's triggers and avoid while ensuring child can join in with others ... learn what helps child to stop itching (saying 'stop itching' doesn't work)...

You can get lots more advice from www.eczema.org

Hth :D

jfbsdb
20-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Many thanks for those suggestions - they were really helpful. I've now typed up the paper and sent it off for assessment :)

Jean x

michellethegooner
20-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I covered this on my NVQ, cant remember wot I put my folder is being marked!!! but I think I put something in about taking tiredness into account and planning some quieter activites as to not tire children out and ensuring that I give oppurtunities and a quiet space for child to rest.. sorry cant remember wot else I put,