PDA

View Full Version : ofsted grading?

emmadines
19-10-2008, 10:12 PM
it looks like 99% got good and above! I got satisfactory and thought about putting it on like most of you have. then thing is I feel like I havent done as well. is there anyone else that have been graded satisfactory?:blush:

I thought i did quiet well considering I havent been minding long but now I think I could have/should have done better!!!???:(

Although I know everyone now knows that I got satisfactory and it prob doesnt matter but it will be popping up each time I look,

cher25
19-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Emma, i got satisfactory on my last inspection. I only had 1 after school mindee and thought i had done better as i even had a list sent out to me by my childminder co-ordinater that was based on an outstanding inspection. I had done most of what was on there, so thought i'd at least maybe get a good in even just a couple of catagory's but no, it was satisfactory all round. I felt id tried my best and a little bit dissapointed. But then i realised i started all this as i love kids and as far as i was concerned i looked after that mindee as well as i possibly could on everything. And still do!
Different story now though, im panicking as much as anyone with the eyfs. But it's getting an inadequate that worries me, at least with satisfactory ofsted are agreeing that im doing things right. Just hope i can at least get that when inspected on the eyfs.
Don't worry about the grade you were given, it's how you actually look after the kids and if the parents are happy that counts. Am i right in saying that? As i need reminding of that myself at times.lol

PixiePetal
19-10-2008, 10:39 PM
I am satisfactory too, you are not alone. :blush:

Jen

emmadines
19-10-2008, 10:57 PM
oooooo its been put on mine:idea: ??

Pauline
20-10-2008, 06:46 AM
oooooo its been put on mine:idea: ??

Only you can do that!! You must have added it to your profile!

sue m
20-10-2008, 07:05 AM
you're fine Emma, as Cher says, you look after the kids well and the parents are happy with you and there are some 'picky' inspectors out there. You enjoy it, the kids do and that's all that matters. Can you remove the satisfactory from your profile if you don't want to see it every time you go in there??? :thumbsup:

angeldelight
20-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Well done to you Emma thats a great result

Angel xxx

Minstrel
20-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Satisfactory is a perfectly good result and shows you are doing everything and meeting all that is expected of you.

Am i the only one who thinks that the wording should be changed to reflect the gradings given. I think its a shame that Emma and others feel so downhearted because the word 'satisfactory' doesnt sound good enough??? iyswim

CCJD
20-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I think that the wording for the grading should be changed too - mainly becuase the words they have chosen to represent the levels dont match up with their explanation of them.

I have a "good" grading but if you read Ofsted's explanation of this grade it actually means that the provision is strong and I land up having to highlight the explanation to parents when they look at my report.

I think the grades should be unsatisfactory, good, very strong (? not sure about this one) and outstanding. I think that good should be the minimum as I think to meet all the criteria Ofsted set means you must be at the very least good - arent you?

Or you could change it to something more objective: does not meet criteria, meets all criteria level 1, exceeds criteria level 2, exceeds criteria level 3.

Either way I just dont think that the word satisfactory really hits the mark in this case.

Pipsqueak
20-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Ems - Satisfactory is a great grading. It means you are meeting all the requirements - do not feel disappointed by it.
Often it depends on the inspectors mood for that day or if they are a nit picky one.

At the end of the day you are (and I hope you know it) a caring good childminder and that is what matters.

The grading system and wording is appalling and doesn't tell the real truth about who and what we are.

You should be proud of yourself xx

Andrea08
20-10-2008, 10:37 AM
i think to get any grade in EYFS is a well done from me!
the wording is rubbish parents think oh ri so your a good?
we have to explain that any grade from Ofsted is worth more than what they think and highlighter pens to show where ofsted have said we work well!

well done from me hun

Rubybubbles
20-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Satisfactory is a perfectly good result and shows you are doing everything and meeting all that is expected of you.

Am i the only one who thinks that the wording should be changed to reflect the gradings given. I think its a shame that Emma and others feel so downhearted because the word 'satisfactory' doesnt sound good enough??? iyswim

I agree well said

emmadines
20-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Only you can do that!! You must have added it to your profile!
I dont remember doing it? confused!?!

Mrs.L.C
20-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Satisfactory means you are meeting the high standards set by ofsted. I got satisfactory for my 1st inspection and having a Good now has made no difference and I know outstanding childminders who have said the same. I think as long as the children and parents/families are happy, then thats all that matters

LisaH
20-10-2008, 08:19 PM
My grade is 'satisfactory' too and I have to say i feel just as you do about it Emma.

I compared my report to a childminder who was graded 'good' and they were very similar!! I have decided it was just because i had a very picky inspector.

The grade states we are meeting the standards but the word 'satisfactory' certainly suggests otherwise.

I am hoping I will be inspected again soon because i am determined to be graded 'good' next time!!

Mollymop
20-10-2008, 08:25 PM
This is what annoys me about inspections and grades - people worrying about what grades they will get. We all try our best and then ofsted come round and grade us on how they feel - the next day a different inspector may come round and grade you differently. It is unfair to all of us.

We should either get a "pass" or a "fail" - end of. It is unfair.

miffy
20-10-2008, 08:54 PM
This is what annoys me about inspections and grades - people worrying about what grades they will get. We all try our best and then ofsted come round and grade us on how they feel - the next day a different inspector may come round and grade you differently. It is unfair to all of us.

We should either get a "pass" or a "fail" - end of. It is unfair.

I agree - I do think the grading depends on the inspector concerned - what one likes or is willing to accept another won't - and on how confident you are too.

The report should be enough indication of how well you are meeting the standards Ofsted expect without the need for a grade too

Miffy xx

Pudding Girl
20-10-2008, 09:11 PM

I quite agree! Well done, nothing to be ashamed of!
Maybe you should all lobby the NCMA to lobby Ofsted to introduce a bigger grading system like ours in Scotland, 1 upto 6, gives more scope.

Angela234
20-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Satisfactory grade means all Ofsteds standards are met

i also don't think the word "satisfactory" is suitable as surely if you meet their standards your care should be "good"

Angela

acorns
20-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Just remember you are doing every thing you should, satisfactory is great as there is sooo much to do & it's hard to get it all right. If the kids & parents are happy & you're happy then that's worth more than any ofsted grading. As it's been said a lot depends on who the inspector is & what side of the bed they got out of that morning!!!!!!!!!!!!