PDA

View Full Version : Charging for food

mumtodaniel
17-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi

Just working out my fees etc, and not sure about food. I will provide food/snacks if wanted, but not sure whether to charge.

If you charge, does that mean you cannot claim food back, I am guess the amount you would charge would not even cover the food.

Or is it best to just have a set hourly/daily rate and include food. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Maureen

kellyg
17-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I am going to include food in with my rates as I think it will get too complicated, plus if it were me I woudl expect it in the price, if they dont want me to supply food and therfore bring thier own then its still the same rate - their choice but I have accounted for the food in my rates.

Hope that helps ;)

Rubybubbles
17-01-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't charge for food, I only provide snacks and drinks. The children bring a packed lunch, no complaints!! But the children leave me at 5pm!

kellyg
17-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Thats a good idea - I intend on having your normal sandwiches etc for lunch and hope most of the children are gone for dinner lol - but if not its not a problem. However I do think the less time cooking/preparing food the better, more time spent with the kids then.

bubbly
17-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I charge a fixed price for each meal and all parents are aware of my prices as I include it in my info pack. I find it fairer that way because I myself wouldn't want to be charged for a meal if my child was taking pack-up.

berkschick
17-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Im the same as Bubbly, I charge extra for meals.

Partly I am ashamed to admit because want to put off most from having tea! I like tea times just with my family at 6pm yet if a mindee went home at 5pm I would feel that I had to feed them first as the meal was included in the fee.

Both my mindees opted to bring packed lunches which works really well as they have what their parents know they like to eat and Im not buying loads of differant food to keep them all happy.

Only M is here for tea as she doesnt go till 6pm. Mum still has er on baby food so just sends a jar along.

Love

Debbie

mumtodaniel
17-01-2008, 08:17 PM
but if you do charge for food, does that mean you cannot put it in your expenses - a lot of childminders around here seem to charge for food from what I can gather, they give the parents a choice - but I am not sure about the expenses side as did not like to ask.

berkschick
17-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, you can still claim for it.

You have to include the money you are paid for the food in your income so it would probably just cancel each other out in the long run.

I do include snacks and drinks in my hourly rate and I claim for those too.

Love

Debbie

Tily Bud
17-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I include breakfast, tea and snacks in my daily rate but have just started asking parents to provide lunch . I found i was buying so many different foods for lunch that i just couldnt keep up ! it also makes lunchtimes so much easier x

I put set amounts through my expenses for half or full day children this just makes my life easier , what does every one else do, do you work out the food each day / meal to the penny or average it out as i have done ?

samw
21-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I include it in the rate but I do only provide sandwiches and the like for lunch. Snacks etc are included too.

Sam x

susi513
22-01-2008, 01:01 PM
You need to disregard what you are charging parents when you are thinking what to put as expenses in your account. If you paid 50p for fruit its still an expense to put down in your accounts whether the parent paid for it as part of the daily fee or a separate charge iyswim

When I go through the checkout I put the childminding goods through first & get a separate receipt to put through my accounts. Where things are for hh & cm (eg potatoes, toilet rolls) then I'll usually buy 2 packs, one for business and one for hh. Or I buy one pack and put 50% of the cost through my accounts - in which case I highlight childminding item on receipt and write down total to put through the books. I also highlight date & total amount, makes it easier later on.

I prefer to charge separately for meals. Some parents swap and change what they do (I don't mind, as long as they book/cancel the week before) others stick rigidly to my meals or pack ups.

You also need to be careful if you include your fees in any of your adverts as parents might compare your daily rate with that of someone who charges for meals separately and therefore appears initially to be cheaper than you.

Theres more to consider when deciding whether to charge separately for meals:
Some children eat better when they have the same meals as everyone else and you won't have to worry about them wanting to swap items or not eat their lunch cos someone else's looks nicer
Its not easy getting a balance so everyone has a plate that looks the same but has taken into account everybody's likes/dislikes, allergies & their parents wishes.
Its not easy remembering which parent's wishes were which - a check list of banned items in the kitchen or your planning diary can be helpful.
Some parents idea of a packed lunch is several items that all require heating or cutting up so your preparation is not much less than if you'd made a meal yourself. Unless you've gotten your parents well-trained into providing ready-to-eat meals.

Sorry rambled a bit!