PDA

View Full Version : Noit sure what to do :S

gemhei
19-10-2008, 06:21 PM
As you can see im a newly registered childminder but ive managed to find a full time child fairly quickly. Then Last week i was contacted by a parent of a 2 year old saying she needed childcare for at least 2 sessions a week (each session 5 hours) and could she come see us? I said of course and asked if she could make 10am friday. She came for the meeting on friday and all went well and she wants to come back next thrusday to introduce her daughter to me as she was at nursery on friday. I said this was fine.

My DP came home from work on friday and i told him all about the visit and he wasnt happy, he said he didnt know how it could work just part time and i could get a full time call next week and not be able to do it :mad: . I think hes just worried about money because we are moving house soon and his income has dipped a little (hes self employed too). But i thought surely something is better than nothing but he disagrees. I dont know what to do, i dont want us falling out, but like i said to him it could be months before i find another full time. :(

tulip0803
19-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I only had a full time child for the 1st year and a half I minded, after that I was full but they were all part time children. You could wait a very long time for another full-timer as you say and some money is better than nothing. you could find someone that wants the other 3 days - lots of people work part-time and need childcare. Just before I moved all my pre-schoolers went home at 3 which meant I could have 4 after-schoolers:) They were all about the same age and so easy.

You can always review the situation at a later date

sarah707
19-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I have only ever done part time... in 15 years.

I have lots of bits and pieces through the week and a very carefully written schedule! :laughing:

katickles
19-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I would take on the part timer. You can then fill the other 3 days around the days that the lo will be taking making it a full time space iyswim?

I started with just part timers & I only now mind one child full time, one two days & another the remaining 3 days making both my available under 5 places full.

Another way to look at it is that if for some reason you end up loosing a contract - its not as much to loose as a full time place.

At the end of the day you need to do what is best for you & your family though.

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/22/2243/224342.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Noodles
19-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree with everyone else. I have one full timer and the rest part time. Luckly my part timers fit in and after christmas i will be just about full. I will have a couple of slots free on 2 days.
I find i can make more money from part timers too as i can charge a little extra.
As also said if you loose a part timer the financial worry isnt as bad where as if you loose a full timer it is a big slice of your income.
So for them reasons i would not turn away part timers

Pipsqueak
19-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Something is better than nothing and I think full timers can be few and far between (especially given the current climate) but it just depends on the area.

You can factor in other children for the times this child isn't with you - keep you CIS listing updated and let other minders know what hours you have available.

I would go for it - if all is suitable for you and them and hey you never know where it might lead and if people see you with a children then they often start to get interested and it eases you into nicely

Good luck
xx

berkschick
19-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I have only part timers too.

I have I 3 days, G 3 days, E 2 days and the twins 1 day plus 2 before and 1 after schooler.

I dont think I have ever had an enquiry for full time as yet.

I would go for it!

Chatterbox Childcare
19-10-2008, 08:31 PM
You could also get another part time to slot in beside this one

This business is really fickle sometimes.

gemhei
19-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone, i was thinking along the same lines. Thing is he doesnt understand properly and sometimes thinks its like his business and hes worried if i only have a part time place i wont fill oter days :rolleyes: But i think i will take on the part time child and then see how it goes ive just shown him this thread and he seems a bit more relaxed and said its my business i know best :D. Thanks for all your help. :)

Twinkles
19-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Good luck with it all. Just to add I've only had one full timer in all my 14 years of minding - not through choice that's just the way it's happened.

Saranotts
19-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Out of 16 children that I look after (mainly before and after school) I don't have a single full timer and think that this is best as if you lose one contract its not to much of a worry.

Good luck.

Sara

Bushpig
20-10-2008, 09:58 AM
All my kiddies are full-day part-timers, from 1 day a week to 3 days a week. Every day is different! :)

Rubybubbles
20-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone, i was thinking along the same lines. Thing is he doesnt understand properly and sometimes thinks its like his business and hes worried if i only have a part time place i wont fill oter days :rolleyes: But i think i will take on the part time child and then see how it goes ive just shown him this thread and he seems a bit more relaxed and said its my business i know best :D. Thanks for all your help. :)

:clapping: glad hubby is on side again!

I have full timers and part timers, but live on RAF camp so most work is for full time, I would def take what you can, you would kick yourself if nothing full time comes along
10 hours a week adds up!! over the months