PDA

View Full Version : Learning letters and numbers

childmind04
19-10-2008, 05:32 PM
My son was in reception last year and the teacher taught them some great ways to learn their numbers like the number 7 was a table with a wonky leg, number 5 was a hat and a postman and a fat bag, his letters were, A was the sound and was followed by his fingers being ants eating his arm, i now have a 4 year old in a different school who is struggling with her numbers and letters and was wondering if any of you clever ladies know what these are?

I dont see his teacher now as he has moved years, hpoe my post makes sense!!

Susan

Pipsqueak
19-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Lots of visual reminders like your sons ex teacher are fab for kids - it makes the association for them.
Or singing and doing an action - as in Jolly phonics style is good as well.:thumbsup:

RachelE
19-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I like the letterland story books.

My 2 year old loves listening to the stories and has remembered some of the characters. When we play with the foam letters in the bath, she calls them by their letterland name and then some of them by their proper name.

Its a really relaxed way of doing it without them really noticing it.

The books are easy to get for all abilities on ebay.

Rachelx

louise
19-10-2008, 07:15 PM
My ds is in reception. He is doing jolly phoincs which is like you described ants on arm. He is having to practise a new letter a day! he is enjoying it though. They do a lot of sky writing and doing it in trays with sand ect. They also have the letter which a marble traces the letter which i love.
He hasnt said anything for numbers yet.

My ds has got a list of all the actions and the order the school teaches them in if needed.

Lou

Rachael i learnt using letterland. i can still rememeber them. I have always used kicking king and cleaver cat to help my ds with c and k when i spell out.

Chatterbox Childcare
19-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Jolly Phonics is great and I remember the a for ants going back some 8 years

singlewiththree
19-10-2008, 08:57 PM
You can get jolly phonics from the ELC.

http://www.elc.co.uk/toys/learning-books/jolly-phonics/?filter=filter&product_id=30696&category=592/

We have the DVD and its getting rather annoying to listen too :laughing:

childmind04
20-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks everyone, think i will pop to metrocentre tonight and get some bits (any excuse to spend money :p )

Susan