PDA

View Full Version : Student assistants

loz
17-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Has anyone ever had student placements in their setting?
Until recently i had a registered assistant but had to let her go once i realised she had plans to get pregnant (and i would therfore end up paying her maternity leave which is unaffordable especially when i need to hire someone else).
I am trying desperatly to find out how i would go about offering a student place. Where do you start? If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know.
My mother-in-law has taken the assistants place temporarily but i cant bare to have her permanently.

Banana
17-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Yoiu can contact your local college and the may have some students who would want to do this on their days off?

xx

Pauline
22-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I know people who have had students in and it has worked really well, they come complete with CRB and you don't have to pay them.

Contact your local childcare course managers and ask if they have any students wanting placements - they can only say no!!

Good luck :)

Minnie Minx
22-01-2008, 01:04 PM
also try your local unemployment training centre, that's how i went on my nursery school placement.

xxx

loz
01-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all the advise, will give it a go this week. Am getting pretty desperate now!

KatrinaW
30-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Hello!

I have my husband registered as my assistant but he can be very little help at times LOL.
I am thinking of maybe getting a student assistant for over the summer, I would like any advice as to finding a suitable person/interviewing them/sending the application - should I tell ofsted it is to be temporary etc.
I am hoping to find one that is looking for it as work experience and not wanting payment...would be a bonus :laughing:

Twinkles
30-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I had a student from the local college when my own were little. She was very unreliable ( time keeping etc ) and seemed to have no common sense, but the kids loved her she played really well with them.
In the end it felt like I had an extra child to look after so when her placement was over I didn't get another one.
I might try another one now but I don't know if it would be much help in the holidays as she would take up a space in the car so restricting outings.

I would be interested to hear how you get on.

miffy
30-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Nothing to add but didn't want to read and run

Good luck hope you get it sorted

miffy xx

KatrinaW
30-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies,

Will have more of a think and look into it.
I don't drive so don't need to worry about another seat being taken up, we always walk or get the bus :)

Heaven Scent
30-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I have a volunteer student from a training centre she is also my cleaner (I pay her for that) but I am helping her through her NVQ in return - I am being her mentor - I am using the experience as a way of getting used to the requirements of the CCLD before I try to assess anyone on the course only assessed students on eyce. I am also going to offer to do same for another friend who would like to do her level 3.
The university of Chester sent childminders in my area a letter through my local cis looking for placements for their students and I'm also sure that other colleges were looking for placements I must look into it more closely I also rang Macclesfield college who said tahat they don't place students with childminders because its too difficult to risk assess them. I thought this was rather strange if you were prepared to accept one or two students every term and allow them to do extra through the holidays to make up their hours especially as it difficult for colleges to find baby placements for students to do their longitudinal observations with - the colleges I worked at always struggled and students had to make their own arrangements with family members if possible.

So give it a whirl try the training agencies and the local colleges and uni's and let us know how you get on.

buildingblocks
31-03-2008, 06:51 AM
I have had local Child care students in before out of three of them only one was any good the other two were as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I did it as I remember how hard it was to find a family placement when I did the NNEB back in the dark ages. It is even harder for them now as where they go have to have police clearance so they can only really go to childmidners (weused to use family friends, etc).

one thing to remember is that although you have a student in they cannot be left with the children on their own as a normal assistant would be. They must be supervised at all times